Chapter 17

The next two weeks go by in a blur. To sum it up, my father goes out every afternoon, alone, until the early hours of the morning, and spends the day sleeping off his drunkenness, while Liz drowns herself in wine and reality TV in the living room.

The Loch Ness Monster necklace is in a sewer somewhere now. I realized that my father didn't forget the necklace—he didn't know about it. It was a ploy by Liz. I waited one night for Liz to polish off a whole bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, then I went into the living room with the necklace hanging from my fingers.

She was too drunk to pretend. "Clever, wasn't it? I'm still surprised by how effective it was." She picked it up at the Stockbridge Market the first week I was there. I wanted to wrap it around her neck and choke her with it. Instead, I knocked into the hippo table so that the wine bottle would fall over and the last drops of it would stain the carpet. She screamed profanities at me as I left the room to go flush the necklace down the toilet.

I've become the Green Lady, haunting the streets of Edinburgh with only one goal in mind: to find Graeme. I don't know what I would do when or if I find him. I just know that doing so would make me feel better than I feel right now. Or rather, it would make me feel something, because right now I feel nothing.

I don't sleep anymore, I barely eat, and I stop going to class altogether. In the dead of the night, I stay up searching the internet for any sign of Graeme.

"handsome man sell soul edinburgh" "graeme devil edinburgh" "graeme devil" "handsome devil sell soul turn to dust" "attractive man black eyes brown hair tan wants your soul"

Not one Reddit post, YouTube video, or devil-worshiping forum mentions anything remotely similar to Graeme. It's all just kooky pastors' blogs, metaphors for musicians getting sucked into fame, porn video suggestions, and photos of actors playing devils and vampires.

He can't be gone forever. He can't truly be gone.