My Sister and I

When I made my way out of the woods, suddenly I was back in my meadow, no snow in sight. It was bright out and warm. I took off my jacket and slung it over the rope and grabbed the other side. I slid down the rope and ran back to the orphanage. I found my sister lying on her bed reading a book. Typical.

I stood there at the door and watched her for a moment. It was amazing how similar we looked physically, and yet how different we were as individuals.

We both had dark brown hair that went down our backs. My eyes were a light brown and when the sun shone just right, you could see streaks of gold in them. My sister's eyes were different. Hers were green with shots of amber going through them. It was like a sun setting in a forest.

We had the same facial structure and we were the same height. Our eyes were what set us apart physically.

My sister was more of an indoors loner type of person whereas I wasn't. She was a bookworm that read and reread her favorite books every weekend. Boys crowded around her because she was so pretty and she looked nice in dresses, but she shrugged them off, uninterested. The only boys she was interested in were within the pages of her books.

She wore girly clothes. Skirts that weren't too short and blouses that didn't show too much. But it was enough to make the guys go crazy. Even though we were twelve, we matured rather quick. She was modest about it.

I was the exact opposite. I loved going outside and basking in the sun in my meadow. Climbing, archery, and horseback riding were my favorite past times. I taught her how to do archery, she liked it, but that was her only favorite sport. She went out whenever I did to practice.

The guys didn't see me as a potential date; they saw me as their friend, just one of the guys. I was totally fine with that. Who needs a boy? I wore shirts that were too baggy and jeans with rips and tears. Dresses and skirts were my ultimate kryptonite. My hair was always up in a ponytail or a braid and it never went down. Ever.

We were as different as twin sisters could be.

But as I walked into our room, I saw that as different as we could be, we were very much alike. She found adventure in a book, I found mine by walking out the front door. I was actively using my muscles in sports. She was actively using her brain muscles in reading. I found peace and quiet in my meadow. She found peace and quiet in her stories.

I walked over to her bed and sat on it. She had an open mind, she listened to everything I had to say. She loved finding adventure, just as much as me.

"Hey," she said, looking over her book for a brief moment before turning back to her book.

"Hi," I said back as I looked down at my feet. How was I going to explain this to her?

"How was your afternoon?" she asked as she looked up at me again.

"Interesting," I said as I furrowed my eyebrows and continued to stare intently at my shoes.

She raised her eyebrow and set her book down on her nightstand.

"Care to elaborate?" she asked as she sat up.

I nodded. "I went to my meadow today, and when I reached the top, there was snow. Like cold, freezing, white stuff everywhere. I wasn't in my meadow, like I had been teleported someplace else. I decided to explore it a little and walked into the woods and then there was this horse. And the horse could talk. She wants to meet you."

She looked at me like I was crazy but she nodded.

"Will you come with me?" I asked slowly.

She nodded again. A little more slowly than the first.

"Great," I said, not very sure of myself.

"But I still think you're crazy. I'm worried," she said as she looked at me. "Is everything okay?" She put the back of her hand to my forehead to check if I was overheated or something. I swatted her hand away.

"I have no idea," I said as I got up and threw her shoes on her bed. "But it sounds like an adventure."

She nodded and stood up. "Talking horses?" she mumbled to herself as she put her shoes on.

When she was ready, we walked out of the orphanage and started towards the woods. We didn't even look back once, because at that moment we didn't know we were never coming back. We only knew we were going on an adventure.