Chapter 3

'Worthy'
▸ ♡ ┈┈┈┈ ♡ ┈┈┈┈ ♡ ◂

Throughout the next couple of days, she had been mostly in her room fixing and reorganizing her barriers. She was trying to convince herself it wasn't him, that they just looked similar but Tara knew what she had saw.

How could she ever forget the eyes of the man she loves. Sure his accent was a bit different and his hair was a different color but it was him. Still, the same caring boy who let her sleep with him when she had first ran away because she had nightmares every night.

She had talked to Death, asking questions but he wasn't saying anything. Normally he would answer her questions, so there had to be a reason as to why he wasn't telling her. And that alone was getting her more and more frustrated. It was only a matter of time before she broke.

The night of the party came, Tara had reluctantly pulled herself out of bed and put on some jeans and a black turtle neck, with her charm bracelet and necklace James gave her for her birthday. She headed to her door and through on some ankle boots on, making here way down.

When she got there she made a beeline to her father and Thor. Tony pulled his daughter to him "Hey darling, no dressing up?" He asked smiling while kissing her forehead. She loved to dress up, but she is possibly still upset.

Bitsy shook her head "No, I didn't feel like it." She responded smiling, then proceeded to greet Rhodes, who was telling an uninteresting story.

Later on, her dad and Thor were trying to see who had the better girlfriend. Which didn't interest her at all so she just sat back on the couch staring blankly at the wall, remembering the first time she and James had met.

All the times he had taken her on friend dates, when he had gave her a grand Valentine's gift during breakfast when he noticed she was getting sad around that day. She was starting to get a headache by forcing the memories away.

On the other side of the room, Sam and Steve were talking, while walking up to an overlook weaving in and out through people.

"Sounds like a hell of a fight, sorry I missed it." Steve chuckled shaking his head and looks below them.

"Well if I had known it was going to be a firefight I absolutely would have called you." Sam shook his head looking at Tara, she looked troubled.

He turned to Steve "No, I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm very happy chasing cold leads on missing person cases. Avenging is your world. Your world is crazy." He laughed looking at Bitsy again, he should go talk to her later he noted.

Steve noticed his gaze and sighed, the team knew her past was bothering her but they didn't know what to do. she hasn't pranked someone for days and they were all getting jumpy. Stark had told them it was about James.

"She's been like that ever since the fight. We think something triggered her memories of James." Everyone who knew her knows who James was, she talked so highly of him.

They just had to wait.

Most the guest had left and it was just the avengers plus Dr. Cho and Hill. Clint was rambling about how the hammer has tricks to it or whatnot, she knew it was much more and she was probably not worthy to even touch it.

Barton got up and goes to try and left it. "Oh, this is gonna be beautiful" Rhodes cheered. She has to agree it will be funny, and it will help distract her from the questions she had.

"Clint, you've had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up." That made her crack a smile, Tony never seemed to fail at making her feel better. It's one of the things she loves about him.

Clint had failed to left it so had Tara's dad and Rhodes even though they pulled together, Bruces got up pretending to hulk out, leaving everyone to either look worried.

Steve was up next and it moved a little, he pulled again and stopped. Thor's face went slack. "Widow?"

She laughed "Oh, no-no. That's not a question I need answered." she chuckled while smiling, they all looked at Tara. "Bitsy?"

What could she lose?

She got up and walked to the hammer and whispered"Not with my past" more so to herself but the others heard what she had said and shared sympathetic glances. She reached down and wrapped her fingers around the handle and pulled.

And it lifted fully off the table, the others were shocked she could lift it. Tara was too busy being in disbelief to notice though. How was she worthy? She spent her whole life silently pinning after her best friend, and then took care of his and Lily's child.

Handing it back to Thor who was smiling goes to explain that they were just not worthy. When a horrid noise cut through the conversation. It was like microphone feedback, causing everyone to cover their ears.

"Worthy... No, how could you be worthy? You're all killers." Tony's Iron Legion suits, stood there damaged and broken.

Steve asked "Stark?" Not taking his eyes off the robot. Her dad was trying to fix the situation with a device.

"JARVIS" no answer

Ultron started to explain "I'm sorry, I was asleep. Or... I was a-dream?" Tony still tapping his device spoke up.

"Reboot, Legionnaire OS, we got a buggy suit." She had rolled her eyes at that, a bug? No this was something worse. And it's going to lead to more problems. Great. She just wants to eat a large pizza and pass out from a food coma.

"There was a terrible noise... And I was tangled in... In... Strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy." Ultron continued to explain, like killing someone was normal.

Well she could not judge, she ended more lives than she wanted to admit but then again she was in a war.

Tara and Steve had spoken at the same time "Back it up Pinocchio." While Steve had asked who he killed. What? He could pick anything to say and yet he chooses a Disney line.

"Who sent you?" This time it was Thor who spoke trying to gain information. This whole situation was getting tiring.

She felt like she had so much weight on her chest that she could drop at any moment. And the ringing in her head had just got louder. Pay attention, she had to remind herself.

"In the flesh. Or no, not yet. Not this... Chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on a mission." Ah well, she had known his name from when she had went to the lab and caught glimpse of Bruce and her dad's conversations. And if she was paying attention she could have talked them out of it.

"What mission? This is a very dramatic conversation, come on spit it out, please, some of us are really tired." She replied in an exasperated tone with a tired look on her face.

The team was worried about her she had been more stressed the last couple of days. But they had to stop whatever Ultron had planned. "Peace in our time." The wall in the back exploded and several bots start to attack them.

Bitsy was thrown back into the wall but got back up and started to rip out their wires with her mist. Jumping on a robot that was about to go for Hill and ripping its head off and breaking its motherboard.

She was destroying every bot insight and as well as saving her team's asses a couple of times. She had a large gash on her side from a piece of glass but she didn't even notice because she was used to the pain.

She had been captured by Deatheaters and suffered 6 torture curses at once and a fuck ton of carvings on her skin from her cousin Bella. You know normal family bonding, she chuckled darkly at that.

Tara had just killed another bot when the last one was destroyed, Ultron started to talk.

"That was dramatic! I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to?.. Evolve? These? These puppets? There's only one path to peace: the Avengers' extinction." To put it simply they were screwed.

▸ ♡ ┈┈┈┈ ♡ ┈┈┈┈ ♡ ◂

Hi guys!
Hope you're enjoying this!
Remember you're amazing ♥︎
Enjoy!
-Author

1462 words