C H A P T E R - S E V E N

Rescue Mission

V A L E R I U S ' P O V :

The red color pouring from his wound gives me a sense of vengeance. His pain brings me a sort of harmony. It's beautiful.

"Where is your boss." I spit to him in Italian. The man cowers back, huffing.

He stays silent. He looks young, maybe just turned twenty. He grunts when I tug his collar tighter, making it harder for him to breathe.

"They sent you here knowing I would kill you. Whoever is doing this doesn't give a shit about you. They knew we were going to come here and shoot every single one of you up. Where your boss?"

The man sighs, his posture still tight. "Last door in the basement."

I let the man go, but he drops to the floor the second my bullet goes through his skull.

Gunshots sound around me, blood covers the floor. All I can think about is the night I almost died. It feels like everything always comes full circle.

"This feels too easy."

"Maybe it's s-supposed to be."

Enzo and Savino bicker back and forth as we walk down the dim lighted hallway. At the end of the hall there's one door.

Enzo is right, it's easy but honestly, I never thought any of this was going to be hard. Everything has fallen into place in such a way that it feels like nothing bad is going to happen. Someone wanted Ellie to find me, someone wanted us to find Ellie's friends. It makes me wonder if that chip in Ellie's ear is even dangerous.

"Could this be anymore on trope?" Savino mutters.

"What does that mean?" Enzo quirks.

We walk further down the dark hallway, the only light being the one flickering on in the only room. We're a couple feet away. It's chilly down here.

"L-Like in books or movies. The long hallway w-with a room at the end."

"Sometimes I wonder if you're saying things that make sense or you're trying to make us seem dumb." Enzo grumbles while Savino just rolls his eyes.

When we reach the door, all our guns are pulled. My gun points to the first sound my ears can pick up but I stop when I realize it's a kid. The kid from the Instagram page jolts his body around, trying to get out of his rope. Three kids have their eyes locked on us, jumping in shock.

"Holy shit, dude!" The kid says. "Mind knocking first?" I ignore him.

"Who are you?" The girl is quick to ask.

"Is there anyone else in here?" Papà asks them.

"No. You get kidnapped by men in masks then all the sudden you wake up tied to a pole in a fucking basement. No one has been down here in the past three days!" The feisty boy remarks. 

I look at the young girl's furious face and decide they have no place in this fight. These kids are innocent.

"Untie them." I command.