Chapter 34 - Exams

Alyssa POV:

I managed to get special approval to sit my statistics and human biology exams early. I don't have an exam for my criminal justice class which I am thanking the university gods for right now. I didn't cry after I got home, like I usually would've, instead I drafted an email to my lecturers saying that my father was severely sick and I had to go back to Australia early to see him and asked for special permission to sit the exams early.

I one hundred percent believe in karma which is why I said my father was sick and not my mother, because I don't know my dad anymore, and even if I did, after everything he put me and my mom through he could use a little karma sickness.

I got approved for stats and bio but not psychology, Mrs. Delany was very apologetic but said that due to the popularity of the class and that the exam was only two days away she said she couldn't approve it without proof that I needed to return home immediately. I took what I got, not wanting to push my chances instead saying my dad was stable for now but that I will still be going back to Australia early.

Luckily I had bought a flexi-flight which meant I could change the time of the flight with forty-eight hours notice, and that's exactly what I did. I am now going home in two days, the evening after my psychology exam.

**********

I sat both my human bio and stats exams today and now I feel an emotion... exhausted. I crawl into my bed at seven. Mera isn't back in the dorm yet so I text her asking if she can stop at the dining hall and grab me something to eat for dinner. My eyes flutter closed against the pillow, even though I should definitely be packing my bag. My mom was so excited that I was coming early, but she knew something was off when I told her that night after the diner issue, she always does, but she also knows time and place, and knew a facetime at midnight was not that.

I hear Mera come in through the door and my eyes pop open at the prospect of her having food for me. She's holding a take out box from the dining hall.

She honestly is one of a kind.

I sit up in bed and take the box from her, hearing my stomach rumble immediately once the smell hits my nose, burger and chips.

"You're amazing, you know that?" I muffle the end of my sentence because I am busy shoving fires into my mouth at the same time.

Classy stuff, I know.

Mera sits down on her bed opposite me and I feel her eyes on me. She's giving me the look, the look I have become all too familiar with. I can feel her energy shift as she's about to ask me about something I definitely do not want to talk about.

"I don't want to talk about it." I quickly stuff another handful of fries in my mouth so she cant pry any information out of me.

"Alyssa, you can't just run away." She crosses her arms over her chest using her body language to scold me along with her words.

I swallow my mouthful then sigh, looking down at my incredibly interesting burger and fries "Mera... I just don't want to talk about it because I'll cry."

I am not one hundred percent sure I'll cry, but there is a high chance, considering I have shut everything off and tried to push away any mention of what happened. I'm scared to open up and break the seal on the dam that is my emotions, afraid I'll drown myself in the inevitable flood.

"He was asking about you."

This catches my attention, James sent me a good morning text this morning like he usually does if he wakes up before me and when I didn't answer him by lunch time he sent another, then I started to get phone calls. I've turned my phone off because the temptation of answering him is too high and I don't want to give in to him.