Deep in Thought (Promises, Promises)

As soon as I arrived home from school, I ran to my room and changed into more comfortable clothing. I want to go talk to Mich about Darrel and Mr. Hutch.

*****

Today in English, Mr. Hutch seemed different. He looked different, too.  I couldn’t help but watch him as he instructed my class about Shakespeare and other authors that use(d) the same techniques as he did to carry a story’s plot. Again, I couldn’t stop looking at his tie. I wonder what he’d look like without one on… There I go again daydreaming. Okay, back to reality.

Tomorrow we’re supposed to start reading, as a class, Romeo and Juliet. Surprisingly, though, Mr. Hutch did not ask if I wanted to read. He asked Becca to read the part of Lady Capulet, Susanne Ritz to read the part of the Nurse, and Rose Marie to read the parts of Juliet. I feel both confused and happy that he didn’t ask me to but, at the same time, I want to. I’m so weird, right?

*****

I changed into a pair of baggy red sweat pants, a black tank top, my school sweatshirt, and my running sneakers. Before I left the house, I left a note for my dad letting him know that I would be next door if he needed me.

When I reached next door, I knocked on the backyard door a couple of times before Mich opened up and invited me in.

“Hola, Mich.” I greeted him with a wave which he returned with a smile. Opening the door for me to enter, Mich said, “Hola. What’s new?”

“A lot, actually. I went dress shopping for my masquerade dress, I have a new English teacher and Darrel is now sitting at my table during lunch,” Sitting down on his couch, I watched Mich as he closed the door and sat down on the other side of the couch. “You?”

“Not really…”

“No work today?”

“I took off. I went out last night with a few friends from college and got home late so I decided to rest up. There’s no point going to work if I’m going to fall asleep.”

“True… So, Mich, do you know Logan Hutch?”

“Yeah, why?” Mich seemed quite curious by how I knew who Logan a.k.a. Mr. Hutch is by the look of curiosity on his face.

“He’s my new English teacher.”

“He’s your teacher? Wow… I thought he was going to join the New York Jets.”

“Wait, he got an offer to join the New York Jets?

“Yeah. I can’t believe he chose to become a teacher instead… I would have taken the offer if I were given the chance. ” I can’t believe this. My English teacher was asked to join the New York Jets but he chose teaching instead? … This is extremely weird. Why in the world would Logan turn down such an opportunity?

“Wow… well, as I was going to say, he’s my new English teacher. He’s pretty cool… As I said before Darrel sits with my friends and I at lunch now. I invited him, of course, and he agreed. Awesome for me, right?” Instead of answering me or at least commenting about Darrel, Mich kept quiet and thought to himself. Deep in thought, I watched as Mich’s flashed from look to look. One second he looked confused then upset and then angry.

I even thought I heard Mich mutter some fowl words quietly to himself as he thought and his psychotic mood swing continued. “Watch your mouth, Mich.” I commanded loudly so he’d warp back to reality.

 *****

Mich has the tendency to sometimes think and talk to himself but never curse to himself. This was the first time he’d done this. This,though, wasn’t what particularly worried me: I was startled by his abrupt but quiet behavior. Mich usually speaks freely about what he’s thinking/ thinks or feeling/feels.

 *****

Looking up at me, Mich noticed how I was looking at him. He looked worried about something. So I asked, “Is there something on your mind that you’d like to talk about Mich?”

Startled that I would ask such a question, he replied, “No, nothing. Why, do I look like there’s anything bothering me?”

“Honestly, Mich, yes, you do.” Mich sighed and waved his hands in the air and then propped them on top of his head, his right hand on top of the left. As though irritated by my honest answer, he cupped his chin with his left hand and situated his left elbow on his knee, leaning forward to reach it. He set his right arm to his side and thought for another second how to word what he was thinking.

“Do you like him?” Mich, surprisingly, asked.

“As my teacher, yes, I like him.” I simply asked. There was nothing more to say on the matter but Mich continued to question me.

“Do you like him as in really like him?”

“No... Mich, I’m not interested in your college buddy. Geez, I can’t believe you would even think such a thing.”

“You think he’s hot?”

“Mich!”

“Just answer the question.”

“No.” Mich flashed me a look that showed that he doubted I was telling him the truth. “Really because most of the girls that know him always like him more than just a friend-“

“Mich, you’re acting like such a child. If you want the truth, here's the truth: I do find him very attractive,” interrupted by a disappointed sigh (that escaped Mich’s mouth) I waited till Mich paid attention to me before continuing what I had to say. “But, Becca called dibs so, yeah, he’s off limits.”

“What,” Mich, swept up in feeling, flashed me a concerned look. “Emma, promise me you’ll stay away from him.” This is when I realized Mich was holding back some information from me.

“Look, Mich, I’m just teasing you. Logan is my teacher and will only be my teacher. I don’t have feelings like that for him. Besides, why would you even think I’d like Logan like that?”

“I'm just making sure. That's what best friends do; make sure their best friends stay safe. Also Em, you’re referring to him by his first name. He’s your teacher; not your friend. You need to remind yourself that calling him by his first name is totally inappropriate.”

“I understand… From this point forward, I won’t call him by his first name.” Of course, I gussied up to Mich.

This promise, reader, was only meant for him. I’d be able to refer to Mr. Hutch as Logan to anyone except him (and Becca and my father and the student body and faculty.) There would be only one person I could talk to about him and that person is Cama.