Chapter 12

Mei looked at the older girl up and down before sighing in satisfaction. Although Yuzu was always trying to act independently Mei was very adamant in helping her get dressed for school. While the deed did fluster both girls, it seemed like Mei had an ulterior motive behind the seemingly altruistic offer.

Yuzu tugged at the black tie around her perfect white collar shirt uncomfortably. "Ugh, this thing is so stuffy!", she groaned in mild irritation and continued to complain about how 'un-cute' she looked. With Yuzu's arm still in a sling, there wasn't much she could do when Mei began dressing her up in the proper school uniform.

The younger girl crossed her arms. "Stop whining. This was part of the deal". The 'student council president' mode was a huge contrast to the affectionate and loving girlfriend that pampered her for the past couple of days. Whenever Yuzu set out to do something Mei would be there to assist her and while it was nice to have the girl fawn over her, Yuzu had grown restless at home. She was insistent on going back to school, even if she wasn't fully recovered yet.

"Fine, but I'm still putting makeup on!"

Mei shook her head in defeat. There was no point in arguing with the stubborn blonde. As Yuzu got to work on putting on her makeup, Mei walked over to the desk and started segregating the stacks of paper that she would be leaving at home and bring to school. Yuzu thought nothing of it until Mei straightened the same stack of paper another time. The blonde, after noticing that the younger girl was shuffling through the pages again, momentarily stopped applying her foundation. "Mei? Is something wrong?"

The other girl noticeably flinched at her name. Mei was never one to procrastinate but she always found herself doing something out of character when it came to Yuzu. The girl neatly placed the pages down and turned to the blonde.

"Yuzu, you should know that after Kyoto... there was no hiding what happened to you", her voice was hesitant, she was wringing her wrist. "As a result, grandfather has decided to let the school staff know about your condition so naturally, all the students know too", it was obvious that Mei was wary of her reaction. "Matsuri told me that you had past issues in regards to telling people about your condition"

Memories flooded through Yuzu's mind. Recollections of pitying looks and insincere support from hypocritical people who wanted to gain favours by helping a handicapped child. "I hate it. I hate it when people look at me like I'm some broken... thing, as if I need their pity"

Mei didn't like how bitter the older girl was acting. She didn't like the sullen expression on her face. More concerned than nervous now, Mei approached her. "Yuzu, it's okay to ask for help. You're the one who taught me that".

Yuzu's expression visibly softened.

"I don't know how those people from your past treated you but I doubt that anyone from our school bears any ill will towards you. Besides, you have real friends that support you now".

Yuzu could feel the antipathy crumble. 'Don't do it', she thought to herself as she averted her eyes from the other girl. She wanted to hold on to that feeling of resentment.

"And you also have me...", the statement sounded more like a hopeful inquiry.

Why was it that Mei was capable of eliminating all the bad things in her world? What and who gave her the right? Yuzu exhaled loudly, as if she was letting go of all that pent up hatred but mostly due to frustration at how much power the younger girl held over her. "Mei, you're cuteness made me mess up my makeup"