Chapter One: Homeroom

Kion walked into the classroom, holding his backpack tightly to his chest. A foot lashes out and Kion stumbles and falls to the floor, spilling everywhere. The kids around him laugh. One of them, Kion's bully for the past two years at Pride Rock High School, Janja, laughed and sneered. "Watch where you're going, lion faggot!" Kion's eyes brimmed with tears and he tried not to cry. 

A couple of the cheerleaders laughed over in the corner. Kion whimpered and started silently crying. "Aw, is the little bitch boy crying?" Janja laughed, mocking him with a baby voice. "Oh, boo-hoo! Suck it up, fag!"

Kion slowly picked himself up and walked over to his desk. He sat in the very back, away from everyone as he possibly could in his homeroom. He sat in the back. It didn't always used to be like this. This much mocking and pain. He used to have a friend. Her name was Rani and she was one of the only animals that was kind to Kion when he first came here. Then she became popular. And she left him. 

He stopped listening to what the teacher was saying as she stepped up to the front, and silently plugged in one of his earbuds into his phone and started playing a song. It was called "Made You Cool," by Sam Tinnesz and it was basically his theme song. As it reached the first chorus, he started crying silently as he dug his fingernails into his skin, trying to get rid of the tattoo he had on his arm. Both he and Rani had got one, and when they broke up Rani easily get hers removed by using her rich grandmother's money. Since Kion's parents had kicked him out as a kid, he was quickly adopted by a couple who just wanted the financial aid for adopting an abused orphan.  All of his stuff was either hand-me-downs, donations, stolen, or found in trash bins and dumpsters all over the city.

A ball of paper hit his shoulder and he turned to the left slowly. It bounced off of him and landed on his desk, and he picked it up and unfolded it. 

It was a crude drawing of him with a noose around his neck and the words KILL ALL FAGS! at the bottom of the page. He slumped back down to the desk as the lionesses over in the corner started laughing and snickering. Bitches, he thought. Why the hell does everyone pick on me? What did I ever do to them? There was no response from whatever god there was supposed to be listening to people's prayers. Or perhaps they only listened to other animals and not depressed gay lions. 

He sobbed into his desk quietly. Even the fucking god was a against him. He sighed as another piece of paper landed on his desk. His song finished, and he looked up. The teacher, Ms. Limu, stared down at him and snapped angrily. "Is there a problem?" Kion shook his head and looked back down at the paper. 

It appeared to be a math test. Okay, okay, he thought as he breathed slowly and steadily, in and out. I can do this.  He picked up his small pencil and started to write. The next thirty minutes were him in complete pain as he tried and failed to remember the equations. 

Finally, the teacher announced that the time was up and to pass their papers forward. As Kion passed it to a leopard in front of him who he thought was named Badili, he gulped at the evil grin that came over the animal's face. The leopard picked up a pen and drew some swear words and inappropriate pictures onto Kion's paper before passing it forwards. As people saw it, the news spread like wildfire and Kion sunk lower in his seat as the paper reached the teacher and she stared at it in shock and anger. She looks up at Kion. "Kion, see me after class," she demands angrily. Kion slowly and sadly nodded.  

Kion whimpered and slid down in his seat, his purple hair barely sticking up over the rim of his desk. Four more notes found their hideous ways onto his desk. All had similar messages to the first, all depicting images of Kion dead or in the process of dying with words like FAGS DON'T BELONG or BURN THE FAGS! That last one was accompanied by a picture of Kion tied to a stake as a bunch of animals with pitchforks and guns stood around him, happy and cheering. 

He sobbed and lowered his head to the desk.