Who is it?

I open the door to find Altair standing there.

       "Do you mind if come in?" he asks.

        "Kyra said no men were allowed in here, or I would have to leave the planet. Considering I don't have anywhere to go, I can't let you in." I say, standing in the doorway. Even though it's just a dream, I am curious about the rest of the city, and I can't see it if I'm thrown out of here.

        "It's alright. I run this place. No one puts you out without my say so." He says with such authority, that I believe him.

       I sigh. "Okay, but if I get in trouble..."

      "You won't." He says, walking past me.

       I shut the door and turn to face him.

       "Are you settling in, okay? Do you like your new place?" he asks.

       "I don't really know. I just got here. Haven't really had a chance to look around, yet." I say.

      "All the apartments in the singles dorms are kind of small and have the same basic layout. A living area, like we are in right now, a cooking area, a sleeping room, and a bathroom. Of course, the room you sleep in has things to store clothes in."

       "Oh." I say, glancing around me. The living room or living "area" as he called it is four times the size of the room, I used in Everly Station. So, if he is calling this small, I would hate to see what he called a large one.

        "I know it's modestly furnished but most young people don't stay single for long. There's really no point in fancy furnishings when you'll move out of here within a few years."

         "It's not that. The furniture is really lovely and there is plenty of space here, for me. It's just..." I pause a moment, thinking. "Is everything in this place, in this city... Why is everything so white? Even the people were all the same color." I look around me. From the carpet to the ceiling, from the furniture to the walls, everything is a bright shade of white. Even downstairs, everything was white.

         Altair chuckles before answering, "Everything is white because it symbolizes purity. We, the Dini, do not involve ourselves in the wars of others. Our race is fond of fighting and killing and we do not take part in it. As far as the people are concerned, there are people with varying shades of skin color. My right-hand man has dark skin. He's a good guy and makes an excellent head of security. There are lots of darker-skinned individuals all over the city, just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they aren't here."

       "I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sorry."

         He's silent for a moment and gets that look people get when they are deep in thought. After a while, he gives a slight shake of his head and speaks up. "It's fine, I'm not offended. But enough about that, there's lots to do. Did you happen to nap any on the way here? I know it's a long ride from Everly Station, and you were there for a long time."

       What does that mean? Does he know this is a dream world? "Kind of. I was a little nervous, so it was more like dozing."

      "Come on, let's go. I want to show you the city." He turns and heads out the door.

        I glance one more time around the room and then follow behind him. My stomach growls so loud, I swear they can hear it across the city. "Can we get something to eat? I'm starving and the..." What were they called? Oh, yeah. "Ghemin didn't offer the greatest of foods."

         "Oh, we are definitely going to eat. I have a special place in mind. I'm pretty sure you will love it."

       I follow him back downstairs, past the fountain, and through a doorway, I didn't notice earlier. I find myself in a room full of women who appear to be my age and a little older, in a wide variety of skin colors. Well, looks like Altair was right. Just because I didn't see the large variety of skin colors didn't mean they weren't here. They all turn to watch as we walk into the room. For the most part, everyone smiles at us, but I do notice one girl frowning at me. She has black hair and green eyes, with skin a shade or two lighter than my own. She looks absolutely, enraged. What is her problem? We stop at the front, near a young woman, Altair addresses as Harmony.

       "Rayanna is with me. She will join you, later this week, or possibly the next." Altair says.

        "Nice to meet you, Rayanna. I am Harmony." She says, holding out her right hand. Her skin is so white, it's almost see-through, and her hair is nearly the same shade of white. Only her eyes are dark, almost as dark as the night sky.

        I hold out my left hand, grasp her right hand, and shake it. "Hello," I say, awkwardly dropping my hand back to my side.

       "I will introduce you to Paridon and our unique way of living. Lots to learn before you are eligible for a job or marriage. But don't worry, I will help you make the transition. We will even get you a buddy to help make the transition easier."

       "Thanks," I say.

       She smiles at me and turns back to the other young women. "I'm sure many of you have worked jobs back home, but having a job, here, is not going to be the same."

       Altair turns and walks back out the door, with me behind him.

        Once we leave the room, I speak up. "You never said where exactly we are going."

         "To the lake. I figured it would be a nice place for a picnic dinner." 

"What of the celebration, you mentioned earlier?"

"Celebration?" he asks. "Oh, you mean the welcome to Paridon party. Don't worry, we will be back in time for that. I'm hosting that party so we will be there."

A party? A celebration? Either way, it could be fun.