One Last Job

Lucinda's POV

Without a backward glance, I started to run. I moved quickly through the thick and dark trees. Slipping past the sentries and the rest of the nest hadn't been too difficult. I was accustomed to avoiding patrols in Kanya, slipping past vampires was almost the same thing; almost. It had been a stroke of good luck that  . . . that woman hadn't compelled me to stay inside the nest. She had made it clear no one was to go out to Kanya without a reason and permission from our maker. 'I don't want to lose any more of my children,' had been her exact words. I had a reason and even if she did kill me, I would have accomplished what I wanted. I could die in peace.

Every sound, every whisper of the wind reached my ears the closer and closer I ran toward the smoke and blood. The scent filled the air with its taint. From what I gathered from the newly turned vampires who managed to escape the town, three Holy Knights had arrived and had systematically slaughtered everyone who had turned into a vampire; anyone they suspected to have been bitten; thus, the reason for the lock down.

But all I had to do was to avoid them, until my task was complete. Later, they could do whatever they wanted. I reached Kanya just as I heard the last bolt slam into place as the townspeople retired into their houses. It was good. I had no business with them.

I slowed to a walk before completely stopping. My home stood underneath the overcast sky. My life, my future, everything was simply gone. I couldn't go back to it. Even Crimson Queen was lost to me. I had no memory of its last location. Other than losing my beating heart, losing my inheritance had to be the worst. The feelings of overwhelming despair and sorrow didn't overtake me as I wanted them to. There was nothing. I was a hollow shell. This was no way to live.

Shaking my head to the thoughts, like a shadow I moved silently through the trees until I reached the town. I purposely avoided the Inn. Michael was probably there. I couldn't face him. I couldn't let him and his religious morals stop me from avenging my family. I took to the roofs and quickly headed toward the Sheriff's office. He would be there. Every citizen of Kanya knew that our Sheriff always worked long hours. One had to wonder if his family was involved. But even as the thought entered my head, I knew what I had to do. If they were, I would also kill them. Monsters had no place in this world.

A few streets from the office, I dropped down into the alley. If I was going to kill the Sheriff, I needed a weapon. Truth be told, it was more out of habit than necessity. I didn't want to kill him as a vampire. I needed to kill him as I would have if I wasn't one.

It had to be something that caused a lot of pain the more I used it. That bastard only deserved pain and I was the right person to punish him for his crimes. I took my time combing the streets, weary of the windows and lights. It wouldn't help my plan if I was easily discovered. After searching for a few minutes, I found an iron pipe hiding between broken crates. The metal felt cold and though it was a bit rusty, it was perfect.

Hugging the walls, I cautiously headed toward the office. The lights were off but that didn't really make a difference. Surprisingly though, the door wasn't locked. Faintly, I could hear movement inside. There was heavy breathing and screeching but other than that, I couldn't hear anything else.  I slipped inside and locked the door behind me. There was no need for uninvited guests.

I walked the same path as I did that day; walked past the desk and past the interrogation rooms where Father David did the utmost effort to try to convict me of a crime I didn't commit. Hot anger burned through my body. Father David and all of the Sheriff's people had all been idiots. The true murderer had walked among them and they had all been ignorant of the truth. It was up to me to open their eyes; I had to make the see.

As empty as ever, the cool cells held the same coolness as that day. But it wasn't in this area that the noises were originating from.  Instead, I continued to walk down the corridor ignoring the cells on either side of me and smelling a particular smell; one that I knew well. I reached the end of the cell room but instead of a dead end, I found that the wall had vanished, revealing a secret room. Walking through, I came to a complete stop. It was a storage room with huge crates and a few barrels. I explored the room not finding anything suspicious. I ripped open a few crates but they were all empty. However, the smell was stronger here. Where . . . ?