Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

It was the first meeting of the Silver Society that Jade and Beth had come to as official members. They were doing their best to learn how things were run there. Spencer found himself unable to stop watching Jade. She fascinated him. There was something about her that made him feel things he'd never really felt before.

     "What is it that we'll be expected to do here?" Jade was asking Alex.

     "Well, everyone contributes what they know," Alex said. "Although we often work with the Unit, we're a separate group, and we have our own files and such. Every member of the Silver Society brings in their own skills and talents, as well as interests. We try to let people do what they find the most interesting. For example, Aideen hates paperwork so much that she tends to smite it if you attempt to give it to her, so we try to make sure she doesn't have very much of it."

     Aideen laughed. "I keep telling you, I'd dictate it to someone else if you wanted me to, but I don't like the process of actually writing it down myself. Paperwork is boring," she said.

     "Aideen usually sticks to field work, so to speak," Alex continued. "She is generally out there, patrolling and slaying, every night. Since she's not big on doing paperwork or research, her entire job surrounds slaying. She plays bodyguard when someone needs one, and she's one of our connections to the vampires and the witches, as she is affiliated with both groups. Spencer is one of our researchers. He researches anything and everything we need to know, and can be a walking encyclopedia at times. He's also our strongest precog, being an Oracle."

     "What's an Oracle again?" Beth asked.

     "Oracles were the first psychics to incarnate as a group, essentially. They lived apart from mortals for the most part and developed their psychic abilities to new levels. They are some of the strongest psychics you will ever meet."

     "My mother is an Oracle as well," Spencer said.

     "You're lucky to have a parent who understands," Beth said. "My parents are terrified of anything supernatural. I'm shocked that they're willing to live in Salem."

     "I'm shocked that they were willing to take me in," Jade said. "You don't get much more supernatural than me."

     "Everything happens for a reason," Alex said. "And, for whatever reason, you and Beth need to be together right now."

     "I guess that makes sense," Jade said. "It's really the only logical explanation."

     "Moving on, just so you really get an idea of who does what, Cierra is our research queen. She also handles the bulk of the paperwork and filing."

     "Cierra, your job seriously sucks," Aideen said. "I never understood how you deal with it."

     Cierra shrugged. "I like reading."

     "But the filing and the paperwork and all of those clerical duties... How do you not go insane?"

     "I don't know, I guess I'm just really at home with organizing things."

     "Arnie is our hacker," Alex went on. "He can hack into just about anything."

     "Except the things I lock off," Aideen added proudly. "He's still not that good."

     "It's not fair," Arnie said. "She uses coding that was obsolete before she was born. Not to mention, she guards her stuff with spells. That's cheating."

     "That's intelligent, when your best friend is a hacker and you don't want him to know every little detail of your existence," Aideen said with a grin.