Chapter 19: Prophecy

Eyes shut. The chilly night air blew over my skin, as was usual for November in Italy. I just couldn't sleep in this confused haze. Not here, not now. The ground was too hard, and I just knew I needed to be somewhere. There was something important I was supposed to be doing. What was it?

"Abelie?"

The haze disappeared.

My eyes snapped open. Stars shone like tiny beacons in the night. This was where I need to be. His footsteps, no matter how hard he tried, echoed behind me.

"Abelie? Where are you?" He knew where I was—hiding behind this large boulder.

"Shh, Aiden!" I said. "Keep your voice down." I turned as his arms wrapped around my body, sending warmth into my skin. His eyes were on fire, and I'd like to think they were on fire for me. He had black skin, the hint of light roiling just beneath. His appearance was one we were told to fear, but I did not. Could not. Our lips met, and the heat between us intensified until we were out of breath. But we kept going in for more. He was my love—he was my life.

He was forbidden.

When our lips parted, he smiled, pulled me into his arms, and wildly spun me around. "Abelie, I missed you so much."

"How much?"

His mouth slammed into mine again. It seemed like we never had time to see each other anymore, and it was so wonderful to be in his arms again. I hated lying to everyone, letting them think I was at the Divine Library—where I was supposed to be.

"Aiden?" I mumbled with our lips pressed together.

"Yes, love?"

"We have to go to the library tonight."

He groaned into my mouth and pulled away. "That place is so dusty and smelly. Completely unromantic."

"I think we could find something romantic to do in there," I purred and brought his mouth back to mine.

He snatched me up into his arms and took off toward the library. Luckily, Camellia had already unlocked the door; all we needed was my key. As an Elder, it was my job to protect knowledge, which is why the Divine Library would only open with two keys. Actually, Camellia leaving the library vulnerable like this was uncharacteristic for a Lady. I had no idea why she wanted me to be there at this hour or why she wanted me to stay there all night. Ah, oh well. I had Aiden to keep me company.

Aiden raced up the stone steps to the library, though my mind didn't comprehend when we were finally inside. My thoughts were too focused on Aiden and his lips. Oh, Gods, his lips. It had been weeks since I'd been able to see him—kiss him—and now he was in my arms. Our bodies molded together as if passion was made flesh. We danced between bookshelves, completely oblivious to the towering cases, statues, and other sundries around us. Aiden picked me up and held me to his chest as I bound my legs around his torso. We crashed into objects, and books rained down around us. I didn't care. I was too wrapped up in the moment. He kissed down my neck, all the way to my collarbone. It was pure bliss. He slammed me against a wall and books toppled. I didn't care. Neither did he.

I practically tore his shirt off. I didn't care if he was forbidden—I had to have him. His hands slammed down on either side of my head, and fire sprang from his fingertips. I gasped in and held him closer, thrilled at his enthusiasm. He spun me around and hurled everything off a nearby table. Glass shattered and books clattered. He laid me on the table and sent a trail of kisses down my neck again. I was in the Ethereal Eternity.

"Abelie," he moaned, breath hot against my skin. He yanked off my white robe and tossed it to the floor. I was exposed, and the way his fiery eyes roamed over my body warmed me in all the right places. He drank me in, as if he couldn't get enough. He swept my long, brown hair away from my shoulder and started kissing down, down, down until he reached my navel. I was about to explode. But his light kisses on my bare belly drew me back to reality.