Dreaming of Death

A fair maiden lies on a bed of amethyst Statice flowers in one of Amara's mystical forests. The strong beams of sunlight hitting her face cause her to awaken from a deep sleep. She slowly opens her eyes and looks up to the light filtering through the top of branches of a tree. "Jewel..." she hears a voice whisper, the maiden furrows her brows in confusion to the somewhat familiar word she has heard.

"Could that be my name perhaps?" Her songlike voice questioned to the dead silent atmosphere.

The girl takes in her surroundings as she slowly rises from her kneeled down position. Her mouth drops in awe at the outstanding beauty of the forest; there were trees that bared golden fruit, specks of floating star-like lights that dazzled in her eyes, a satisfying scent of sweet honey indulged her sense of smell, and a gentle cool breeze whispered in her ear. Still captivated by the magic of the forest, her feet unconsciously wandered about. Snapped of her trance, something painfully snagged a chunk of her hair.

"Ouch!" she cried out, while hastily turning in the opposite direction trying to pull her hair away.

Her eyes widened at the sight in front of her, a butterfly-like creature that was smaller than the girls palm shyly waved at her. Stumbling backwards, the girl nearly tripped over her own feet but was able to gain her balance back.

"What are you?" the maiden cries out.

"I should be the one asking who YOU are. I'm a fairy, silly! Don't you recognize me from reading old folk stories?" The so-called fairy replied with a squeaky voice.

"A fairy you say? Nonsense, they're not real!" the maiden said in disbelief.

"Ah, you must be a new comer! My apologies for not realizing that sooner, to put it simply, you're dead." The fairy casually remarked.

"Wait a minute. I'm not dead!" she exclaimed.

"What's the one word you hear echo in your mind?" the fairy calmly replies, ignoring the maiden's outburst.

"J-Jewel" the young maiden stuttered

"That's your name! It's very beautiful I must say. Now think about it, why is that the only thing you remember? That's what happened to me when I woke up here too! I didn't remember a single thing about myself except for my name. Now, it m-"

"Ofelia! You're dead meat if I find you!" an unknown male voice joins in.

"Quick, hide me!" the fairy hurriedly shoves herself into Jewel's dress pocket.

Jewel's whole body began to stiffen as the masculine voice grew louder and louder as the name "Ofelia" is yelled out continuously. Out of the corner of her eye Jewel saw something move. Before she could even do anything, in a flash the moving figure was right in front of her. She gasped in astonishment, a man with delicate feminine features, long silver hair, emerald green eyes, pure white skin, and pointed ears appeared in front of her.

Jewel began to speak, "W-who might you be?"

The mysterious man ignored her and reached into Jewel's pocket which contained the small delicate creature.

"Stop!" Jewel forcefully pushed him away.

"Ofelia! It is I Tossarion, have no fear." the man called out once again the name "Ofelia."

Jewel felt the tiny creature wiggling from inside her pocket. Feeling that the fairy had been hurt, she quickly took the fairy in her hand and brought it out, slowly releasing her grasped hand. Starting from a loud cry down to a quiet mumble the fairy looked up at the beautiful man with tearful eyes,

"Tossarion! I'm sorry. I got lost, and well you see, I found a new girl! Please don't be angry."

The man who was called Tossarion by the fairy let out a huge sigh of relief then turned to Jewel and eyed her appearance suspiciously.