Turned Tables. BONUS

The surgery was a success.

She smiles tenderly at him as he falls asleep on the hospital room couch, thinking that the sight alone can make the need for painkillers post-surgery unnecessary. If there was anything that she learned, it was that life was too short.

She'd spent her entire life in the shadow of her mother, as an outsider vying for approval but the three years spent apart from him was even worse than that.

As he helps her into the car once she'd admitted from the hospital, she holds her hand out to him, stopping him from closing the car door.

"Are you okay? Does something hurt?" Panic rushes across his face, carefully analysing her eyes, "... what's wrong."

A soft smile spreads across her lips, "... I want to be with you forever, Koo. Can we get married?"

Perhaps facing death in the head made her crazy.

Just a few months ago, they'd been strangers again after three years apart. But her fight against death made her realise that life was indeed—too short.

She didn't want to wait.

He chuckles, leaning in and giving a peck on her lips.

"Recover fully first and wait for my proposal, a proper one," he tells her.

"I don't want to wait," she tells her, "... let's sign the papers now."

"We're going to do things right, this time, Chaeyoung. It won't be long, so recover fast, okay?"

Jeon Jungkook wonders what has gotten into his girlfriend.

Every time they'd passed by a store she'd point at the rings and tug at his shirt. Until a week later, he decides he cannot delay it any longer.

They're eating at their favourite restaurant overlooking the sunset against the beach when he gets down on one knee.

"Will you marry me?"

She thinks that Seoul is not so bad after all.

-

They spend a month travelling Europe after their honeymoon when he tells her that he always wanted to be a father. She asks him whether it would be possible now that he was one of the leading surgeons in the hospital. He tells her that he'll simply quit and rely on the income of his very sexy, lawyer wife. She laughs at him and smiles.

"Let's have children together," she promises.

But their dreams were not easy.

They have been trying for a year before things start to get tense.

"Why is it so hard? Does God not care for us at all?" She breaks down and cries, completely naked against his body as he rubs the back of his shoulder, "... I want to give up."

"It's okay, babe. We have enough love for the two of us, let's take a break and try again next year," he leans back and looks at her, wiping the tears from her face, "... I love you."

They're almost thirty now and she's getting stressed knowing that pregnancy gets harder at her age bracket.

What if he gives up on her?

The pair take a trip to Hawaii this time, coming back feeling refreshed and happy.

Until a month later when Park Chaeyoung cannot stop vomiting.

When they get to the clinic, the doctor asks to do some scans.

"I have good news and bad news," the older gentleman tells him.

"Good news please," she looks to her husband, "... we've had enough bad news for a lifetime."

He thinks she's not wrong.

"You're pregnant, Mrs. Jeon," he smiles at her and watches as the couple fall into tears.

"And the bad news? Is the baby okay?" Jeon Jungkook asks.

"But your tumour, it came back. Considering the size of your last operation, remnants still remained making it grow back... this time more invasively. You need to get operated on, as soon as possible."

"But the baby?" She questions, "... wouldn't it hurt the baby?"

Jeon Jungkook can feel his hands shaking, feeling fear in his heart. Even at a time like this, his wife only cared for their wellbeing of their child.

"There's a small risk but it's low, you will be okay. Medicine has substantially improved since my time," he notifies her, "... we recommend you book an appointment as soon as possible."

"I'd like the appointment to be after the birth of our child," she decides without hesitation.

"Chaeyoung!" Jeon Jungkook almost yells, "... you are not doing this! Please—"

That night, the pair fight and he sleeps on the couch before she apologises and tells him to come to bed with her.

He decides to let her have her way.

"Koo, if something goes wrong—"

He stops her, "... nothing will go wrong."

"I want her name to be Celeste. Meaning miracle. Our miracle."

Celeste Park Jeon.

She has her mother's eyes, her father's dimples.

But just like her mother, she was a fighter. Born premature but will all the energy that Park Chaeyoung could handle, the three make a happy family.

Until, the day of Park Chaeyoung's surgery comes and when operated on, she finds out that the tumour is stuck in a difficult position that cannot be operated on.

Two years later, when her daughter was barely three and a half years old, Park Chaeyoung passes away.

"Dadddddyyyyyy," an effervescent voice calls him as the young girl runs and jumps on her father's lap.

It almost scares him to see how alike his daughter is to her.

"Cel, did you have fun?" He hugs her, giving kisses on her forehead and nose.

The young girl giggles, nodding, "... uncle Jimin took me to the playground today! Will we visit mommy today?"

"Yes of course, how did you know? Did uncle Jimin tell you?" He questions her.

She shakes her head, "... mommy told me last night! She told me to wear a cute dress to see her, that's why I wore this one so I can twirl around like a princess for mommy to see."

He freezes.

"You saw mommy?" His voice is soft, "... when?"

"Mommy visits me in my dream, oops it's meant to be our secret!" She covers her mouth with her hands, "... you won't tell mommy right?"

"Pinky promise," he tells her, "... what does mommy say to you?"

"She told me that I'm beautiful like her, but that I have daddy's nose. She told me to make sure daddy doesn't feel alone and not to give daddy a hard time because daddy is trying his best," she tells him, matter-of-factly, "... but do you know what I think is so funny?"

"What's that, sweetie?" He questions, still processing the words coming from his daughter's mouth.

"Uncle Jimin calls you Kook and so does auntie Lisa," she begins, "... but mommy called you Koo."

"Cel, will you tell mommy to come visit my dream sometime?"

He knows, he's being a coward.

Jeon Jungkook just wants to see her, one last time.

"Okay daddy! But last night she told me that she can't wait for the day that we get to be with her in heaven, she promised me a lot of cotton candy and games but that it wasn't our time to see her just yet," she tells him.

"And tell mommy I love her, so—so very much," he doesn't care that he's crying now.

"Mommy loves you too. She tells me every night that daddy is the only man she'll ever love and that I have to take care of you for her!"