Chapter 16

Nico's mom is thinking about filing for divorce. That's what the call was about. I want to say that I'm surprised; that I didn't see this coming. But I'm not. And I did. I don't think Nico's surprised either - I think he's just in denial. He doesn't have siblings, so his parents are his only family.

Nico's dad, Mark, is a complicated man. I grew up with Nico, but I never - not once - felt welcomed in that man's home when he was there. Mark Bradford is stand-offish and not at all friendly. Sometimes, I felt as though he cared more about his booming business than he did his own family. And I knew I wasn't the only person that felt that way. Nico did, too.

Gillian, on the other hand, is a sweet person. She's outgoing, and always made me feel comfortable despite the fact that my family wasn't like Nico's. However, there were times where she could've been a better mother to Nico. She could've been around more when he was growing up. She could've been around to pick Nico up from school, to watch his soccer and football games, to be by his side when he got the letter from Columbia saying that he got accepted into their Business school. I think she knew - from early on in her marriage - that it was falling apart, so she tried everything she could to salvage it. Even if it meant risking her own relationship with her son.

Despite everything, though, Nico just wants to make his parents proud. I know that his love for his mom runs deep. I see it in the way he speaks to her and about her. I see it in the way he checks in on her when we're out and he's not home. At the end of the day, Nico Bradford is a good guy, and my heart breaks for him right now.

When Nico finally admitted to me what the call was about, I didn't know what to say. What do you say to someone when they tell you that their parents are considering getting divorced? 'I'm sorry'? I feel like that doesn't mean anything. Those words won't take away the pain. So, I did what I thought was best to do in that moment - I listened. And when Nico didn't say anything, I sat there beside him and rested my head on his shoulder. Because sometimes, words aren't needed. Sometimes it's just a single touch that can make a person feel better. And in that moment, that's what Nico needed. He needed to know that someone was physically there for him. We stayed like that for an hour, but if he asked me to, I would've stayed with my head leaning against his shoulder the entire night. All he had to do was ask.

"There you two are," Brooks says to me and Nico once we walk back inside. "B, Remi wanted me to tell you that she was tired and left. She said to call her when you get home."

"Ugh," I press my palm to my head. "I feel so bad. Was she mad?"

"Not in the slightest. Some guy got her number, so she was on cloud nine." Brooks rolls his eyes and then looks at Nico. "You good, bro?"

"Yeah," is all Nico says. "Where's Cara?"

Cara. I forgot about her. And, suddenly, I feel guilty for comforting Nico. Was it not my place? But he asked me to stay...

"I'm just warning you, she's pissed dude," Brooks says. "She was looking all over for you."

"Fuck," Nico whispers under his breath as he rakes his fingers through his hair. "Okay, I'm going to find her and head out. BC," he turns to me, "how are you getting home?"

"Uh...Brooks?"

"No fucking way. Brooks consumed like 10 shots tonight. You're coming with me."

I want to protest, but Nico's right. I don't know about 10 shots, but Brooks definitely drank a lot. Plus, Brooks definitely didn't drive here. He might be aloof at times, but he's not a moron. He knows not to drink and drive.

"I'm sure I can find another ride. You have to take Cara home."

"You're coming with me, Bella. End of discussion."

I sigh. "Okay. Let me run to the bathroom while you get Cara."

"I'll meet you at the car in 5. It's parked out in front."

"And what about me, you assholes?" Brooks asks.

"Caleb," Nico shouts to a guy across the room who's wearing a Miller Prep football blazer. "You drunk?"

"Not even a taste of alc, tonight."

"Great. You're driving Brooks home. Make sure he gets back safe." Nico looks at Brooks and pats his cheek a few times. "All set, bro."

"Fucking love you man," Brooks smiles.

I didn't really have to use the bathroom. I just didn't want to help Nico find Cara.

Once I walk outside, I notice Nico and Cara kissing. He's leaning against the car door and she's standing in between his legs.

Great.

I clear my throat to let them know that I'm approaching. If Nico thinks for a second that I'm going to be around them while they're making out, then he's thoroughly mistaken.

Nico quickly pulls away from Cara when he sees me coming. "You good, BC?"

"Yup," I smack my lips together and say.

I slide into the backseat while Cara takes the front. She plugs her phone into the USB and connects her Spotify. Taylor Swift's Lover album starts playing, and this girl is making it so hard for me to hate her.

A few minutes later and we're turning onto a private street and pulling up to a red brick mansion.

"Nico, did you forget that I'm in the car?" I ask. "Where are we? This isn't my house, genius."

"Not shit, Sherlock. That's because it's Cara's." I can't see Cara's face but I'm pretty sure she's just as confused as I am.

"You're taking me home first?" she asks.

"I forgot that I left something at Bella's house the other day." What is he saying? Nico wasn't even at my house this week. "Yeah, my denim jacket," he goes on to say.

"Oh," Cara says. "Okay. Call me later?"

"Of course," he says.

Cara goes in for a long kiss, but Nico just pecks her. The second that she gets out of the car, Nico looks at me through his rearview mirror.

"Come to the front, BC."

"I'm comfortable back here."

"C'mon, you know I hate feeling like your driver. Please."

I roll my eyes and get out of the car to sit in the front. When I slide in, Nico's looking at me, but all I do is shake my head. "You better have a very good explanation for this, Nico."

"Oh, I do. Trust me, I do."

I do trust him. That's what scares me.