Chapter Two

Lucien

.

.

.

.

.

I lay in my bed with arms and legs spread across, watching the morning sun slowly illuminate the room. I had that dream once more, the one where I was back home with my friends and family, but when I woke up I realized I was still stuck here in this medieval time. I closed my eyes. A year and a half had gone by if not two. It was hard to keep track of time when you don't have the technology... Or at least for me. Especially when the days become monotonous. Part of me wanted to give up, and I almost did back at the village near Kalkar, but my other half wanted to keep fighting. It was hard, to say the least. But somehow I managed. 

Finally deciding to get up, I removed the blankets and grabbed my boots, slowly putting them on as I had no rush, not that I had a job to go to. Not a real one, at least. The frantic neighs of Poseidon, my horse, startled me. I tripped thanks to the untied laced and muttered a few curses as I got up and grabbed my coat. I ran as fast as I could to the stables where he was staying, praying to whichever God was listening that he was alright and that no one was hurting him. And just as I slid inside the stables, I realized he was making lovey-dovey eyes with a bay mare that was tied to a post outside of a tavern nearby. I let out a shaky breath and leaned on a wall for support.

"Horny bastard." I hissed at the horse as I grabbed his reins, moving him to a different stall. I then made sure he didn't hurt himself whilst trying to flirt, knowing well he was clumsier than his owner. I pat his shoulder when I found no injury and left for breakfast. 

Probably out of spite, I went to the exact tavern where the mare was stationed at. She looked calm, nibbling at the wooden post she was tied to and then back to the floor.  As I made my way to the bar inside, I saw a man standing in the middle of a crowd, telling a story about a creature I wasn't familiar with and how terrible it was. Now, if I had a full stomach I would've listened to him, but right now, all I wanted was to eat. 

After ordering, I rested my elbows on the table and looked down at my coin pouch, suddenly remembering the white-haired man who helped me when I first got here. I could still remember the dread I felt, thinking no one could hear me scream and that I was done for. Most of the time I wondered what he was doing, or if he was even alive after we parted ways. I then let a small chuckle escape my lips, remembering how I was a mess of tears and snot and he was as calm as ever as if it wasn't his first time treating someone in my position. Still, I was very determined to find him and pay him back what I owed.

As the food arrived I happily bit on the chunks of bread and chicken I was given but wasn't quite happy downing it with ale. I still couldn't get used to the bitter taste but it did beat downing the food with my saliva.  A small cuss left my mouth as the doors suddenly flew open, revealing a man covered in god knows what, and with him a pungent smell that almost made me throw up. I looked at my food in disgust, the horrid smell ruining my breakfast and if it wasn't enough, the people started to sing that damned song. Just as I had finally gotten rid of it from my head, it was now stuck again. 

I paid for the food and stood up to leave, bumping on accident into the man that reeked of guts. I muttered a quick apology and slithered my way out, feeling as if I was about to suffocate. As I got out, I took a deep breath of fresh air, calming my revolting stomach. The small grunts of the mare made me look back at her, noticing the white mark on her face. I then realized that she looked strikingly similar to the Witcher's horse. I chuckled at the coincidence. Of course, it couldn't be her, some horses do look alike with similar markings. I still walked up to her, although keeping my distance. 

I had managed to put some bread in my pockets, so to try and get on her good side, I offered a piece, just being friendly. 

"You!" My body stiffened at the gruff voice. My hand automatically reached for the dagger on my holster as I gradually turned around. Every possible type of man passed through my head and how differently I would have to react, but as I glanced back at those yellow eyes, I relaxed. Who could forget such eyes?

"You," I replied, letting go of the dagger as I crossed my arms, later covering my nose from the stench. "So you're the culprit of the pest I see." The White (Well, the not-so-white right now,) Wolf shrugged, shaking off some slime from his arm. 

"And you must be the culprit of why Roach is restless." He joked as he walked to his horse. I chuckled as I took a step back, I did miss the man, but I wasn't going to hug him, not right now. 

"What brings you here?" I bit my tongue as it took me a moment to reply. Although I didn't quite know the reason as to why I would be so nervous about him judging me for the path I had to take to make some extra coin. So I simply took the pouch I had behind my own and tossed it to him.

"To pay what I owed. A promise is a promise." Just as Geralt was about to say something, someone came blabbering around the corner.

"Now Geralt, I'm your friend, and friends help-- Lucien." He stopped mid-sentence and we both looked at each other. It felt a bit awkward as it took me a solid minute to figure out who he was, and even more awkward that I couldn't recall his name.

"Poet." I greeted with a smile, wrecking through my brain for a name. 

I saw him take a moment to respond, his mouth opening and closing. I let out a soft chuckle, of course, he would be shocked, I looked way more different. My dyed hair had slowly faded through the days and the length was beginning to annoy me so now my once long and "Flowy" hair was now short and raven, my natural color. It pained me so much to do so, but then again, it be a while... a long while before dye would be invented and I wasn't going to wait that long. Not that I'd be alive to see so. 

"You look..." He made a small pause, carefully choosing his words. "Different." 

"Thank you." 

After that interaction, I went back to my room. Not that I minded staying to catch up, but I was waiting for someone. A knock on the door made me alert and on instinct I held onto my dagger, approaching soundlessly so I could see who it was. With my free hand, I grabbed the knob and twisted it slowly.

"Yes? May I help you?" I asked, getting ready to attack if necessary. 

"Oh for fuck's sake, just let me in. I've been riding all day!" A female voice argued and pushed herself inside the room, taking her cloak off. 

"Well forgive me for being cautious, ma'am." I scowled while crossing my arms. "Was the journey that bad?" 

"Little Dove," Geillis said as she turned around to look at me, pinching her fingers. "You've dealt with those hooligans for at least three months. I've dealt with them for years. The complaining and nagging never get easier, so yes, it was that bad." Geillis then sighed and pointed to the bathroom. "I'm going to freshen up. If anyone needs me, I'll be sinking into my own misery in warm water." 

I snickered at her complaints, although she was right, three months of grown men nagging like children were nothing compared to years. As I waited for her to finish, I sat back down on the bed, remembering how I met her and the rest of the bandits. It felt weird to switch so fast to a life of "crime" basically. One day I was a waitress at the tavern and the next I was on my way to steal my very first bag of gold. I smiled to myself. It wasn't all that bad, the group was like a big happy family, even though there were five of us.

"So, shall we go over the plan?" Geillis asked a few minutes later as she dried herself.

"Sure thing." Not that I needed to, but it never hurt to go over it one more time.