Chapter 11

The horse's hooves were almost silent in the sand. Aya wouldn't have even known that they were moving if it weren't for the light bouncing that came along with each step. She was getting sick of the blindfolds that Bakura forced upon her. Although, she had to admit, he was smart for doing so. Memorizing the path would be the first thing she would do if she were allowed to see. Even though it wasn't fully impossible now, losing her sight made it that much harder.

She struggled to keep Bakura's cloak from falling open in the front and to keep balance on the horse at the same time, causing Bakura to use his right arm to hold her up against him to keep her steady and have his other hand on the reins. Aya blushed and tensed, feeling his muscles pressed up against her back and his hand resting on her hip. No one had ever touched her like that before or had that much physical control over her. And Bakura was a very scary man.

Three hundred six, three hundred seven, three hundred eight. She counted the horse's footsteps as it walked back to the lair. She didn't know if knowing the distance to the oasis would help her at all in the future, but at least it was something.

Bakura was surprised that the princess was being so quiet and compliant. Then again, what else was she going to do? The princess wasn't dumb. Her strength couldn't compare to his and any attempt to flee at this moment would no doubt result in failure. But Bakura knew better than to lower his guard. He had underestimated her once before, but now he knew what she was capable of. And he would not make that mistake again.

He didn't mind one bit holding the princess against his body. It thrilled him to have her in his control. It didn't hurt that the princess had a slightly pronounced chest that was pushing against his arm. In addition, her waist was thinner, but her hips just a little bit bigger. He enjoyed resting his hand there. It tugged a smile at the corner of his lips.

Three hundred twenty-six. Three hundred twenty-seven. Aya stopped counting and her ears perked up at some noise in the distance. It sounded like people chatting, though they were too quiet to hear what was being said. "What is that?" she asked, hopeful that help wasn't too far away.

Her excitement was not lost on Bakura who was irritated at the sudden onset of people. "It's nothing. Stay quiet," he commanded. Why are there people all the way out here? What could they possibly be doing? he thought to himself, gritting his teeth in annoyance. He saw a man on horseback, carrying a wagon-like cart behind him. They were heading directly towards the two of them, obviously intentionally. Bakura sped up their horse, but did not dare go too much faster to avoid suspicion.

The voices were getting closer. Aya was getting antsy about possibly speaking to them. Perhaps it was the army her father sent out after her! Maybe at least they could get a message to him! She could actually hear their clearer voices now. There was definitely a man and a woman, at least.

"Excuse me! Travelers!" the man's voice called out. He didn't sound authoritative like a general or a soldier. He sounded concerned and confused, like a commoner.

Bakura stopped the horse immediately, but did not move or say a word himself. Aya didn't understand. She still couldn't see. She couldn't tell who these people were or where they were or what Bakura was thinking.

"My family and I are trying to cross the desert, but we lost the trail in the night." He sounded almost right next to them now. "Could you point us in the right direction? I fear we've strayed very far." The man then noticed the blindfold on Aya's head. His voice turned to one noticeable concern. "Miss, why are you wearing a blindfold? Are you alright? Do you need help?"

Bakura leaned down to Aya's ear, seething, and very quietly ordered "Stay on the horse and keep the blindfold on." He then took his arm back from Aya and jumped to the ground. She could hear his footsteps crunching the sand beneath him as he walked away.