Author's Note

I started this project as a NaNoWriMo back in 2018. 

It was my first time stab at writing a full length novel since finishing A Hole in the Universe, which had left me with a bit of a "hole" in my heart from the absence (terrible joke, I know), but it also was a bit bittersweet, because for some reason it called to me. 

I have always struggled with parental acceptance, and regardless of the fact that I know the two I have love me in their own ways, the weight I placed on myself to meet their expectation was immense. It wasn't until I got older (much older, as it turns out), that I really came to the realization that they, too, are human and make mistakes. They struggle and fail and eventually pick themselves back up and move on, and I know I can do that now because of the role model I had in my mom. 

This story is a product of that struggle, and there are places that need severe revision, but I hope you love this in the way that we cherish a precious stone in it's raw form. This project was a way for me to grapple with my own struggle--to accept the new reality that my own parents are fallible and that I needed to do the work of accepting them for who they are as well. And although there seems to be a clear antagonist, I urge you to look just a little bit closer. 

You may just see something new from a different perspective.