Chapter 17~ Was It A Dream?

Dedicated to ashliemay because she is my biggest supporter and is always one of the first people to read, vote, and comment; no matter how long it has been since I last posted.

I just sat silently and watched as Maddie's eyes flicked back and forth across the screen. I immediately knew when she saw it, because her eyes went faster, actually comprehending the words. Then she screamed.

***

The screaming lasted for a good five minutes before she passed out. Right there in the passengers seat of my beat up truck. I knew she wasn't hurt, so I drove straight home instead of towards the hospital.

Once I pulled into the driveway, I put my truck in park and hopped out, heading for the drivers side. I opened the door before gently picking Maddie up and out of the truck and shutting the door behind me with my foot. I then managed to balance her in my arms while unlocking and opening the door to our house.

I gingerly set Maddie's unconscious form on the couch. I still can't believe it. There was a one in a million chance of winning, and she managed to do just that. But then it hit me. I shake my head and chuckle. How dumb could I be? To think she actually won? It was a joke or something. I feel bad for Maddie though. I will have to find out who really won, then let Maddie down easy.

I pull out my phone, ignoring the Twitter app and opening up the Internet. I managed to type the words 'One Direction Contest' in the google search bar before I got a call. It was my mom. I answer it, and the first thing I hear is "Put on channel 44! Maddie is on TV!"

I reach over and grab the remote from its' former spot on the end-table. Then I flip through the channels until I find the one I am looking for. I turn on channel 44, and I realize it is the local news. There were a bunch of girls screaming because someone from their town won the world-wide challenge. It's true. That's the last thing I thought before I bent my head and emptied my stomach right onto the living-room carpet.

***

After I had cleaned the carpet, I decided to check on Maddie again. As I walked towards the couch, I could see that her eyes were just barely open.

"Hey," I say softly, sitting on the edge of the couch.

"Was it a dream?" Maddie asks, and it was obvious she was still in a daze.

"No, you really won." I replied. As much as I wanted to say it was all a dream and cancel the entire thing, I only had to take one look at her hopeful face to know that I could never do it. Expecting another scream, I was surprised when I was knocked over with all the force of a twelve year old.

"Thank you so so much Niall." She said, crying and hugging me at the same time. She eventually let go, and then...

She screamed.

***

Hey guys! Short update. And I was having difficulties posting, so I am sorry if that effected anyone. I know you guys were probably expecting a longer update, but I felt as though this was a good place to stop. Well what do you guys think will happen? Will they actually go through with it, or will Niall say no? Tell me what you think, I'd love to hear it! Love you all, and....

Stay extraordinarry!