approval

Theo took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell.

This wasn't the first time he'd been at the Potter manor — in fact, it was his tenth by now. He had the tune of the bell memorized, he had taken note of the lily flowers planted across the garden, the welcome mat that looked too fancy to step on. This house was familiar to him now. The house that he once squirmed at the sight of.

But this was the first time he'd been without his Rory by his side. He always had her to hold on to, but today, he came alone. The familiarity of the house didn't comfort him as much anymore. He was nervous, just as nervous as he was when he'd first gone here.

How could he not be? He was about to ask James Potter for his daughter's hand.

Theo had never even had more than three conversations alone with James. Lily, Harry, and the uncles were more welcoming. Maybe James still had a grudge — maybe he still saw Theo as the boy who took his daughter away.

If he didn't see Theo as a man who could take care of his precious Rory bear, then what was he doing here?

Theo was forced to push his thoughts aside when Harry opened the door for him. Harry often visited his parents even though he already had a place of his own. He was seeing Ginny Weasley now — Theo was the first person he had told that Ginny had interested him. Not Ron Weasley — her being his sister. Harry said he felt like he could trust Theo, and that he viewed him as a brother now. Theo and Harry had formed a friendship, they got on nicely, which surprised him because at Hogwarts, they spited each other. But he wasn't complaining.

He hadn't talked to his old Slytherin friends for a while. Not Draco, not Crabbe, Goyle, or Pansy. Only Blaise. Theo thought Blaise ought to be the best man at his wedding.

"Oh, hey, we weren't expecting you!" Harry greeted. He stepped aside so that Theo could walk in. Harry's eyebrows furrowed when he didn't see Aurora. "Rory didn't come with you?"

Theo shook his head, taking off his coat. "No, I came alone. I actually wanted to talk to you guys about something important."

Harry's eyes narrowed. "About what?"

Theo pressed his lips together. He thought about it for a moment, if he should tell Harry now — but he decided against it.

"You'll know," he said, patting Harry's shoulder before leaving the foyer, stepping into the lounge the Marauders liked to spend their time in.

There they were, the four of them, talking, laughing, drinking butter beer. Theo imagined this was how they always were. He imagined the Gryffindor dorm room in all its glory, four red canopy beds, the Marauders sitting on the floor—on a red rug, drinking and playing cards, maybe board games.

They didn't know what would hit them, news about a boy intending to take their precious girl away for himself. Theo didn't notice his hand trembling when he joined them.

James and Lily had gotten married young — they'd understand. Right?

He smiled when they took note of him. Sirius was the first to grin and exclaim, "Oi, Nott!" Sirius had been the least welcoming uncle when Theo finally came around the house, but then, after a conversation with Rory, he changed entirely — became the one who loved him most. Sirius was very friendly, very rowdy. He matched Theo's energy while he was still at school. Nowadays, Theo would like to think he'd changed — matured, since he met Rory.

Theo waved. "Hey, guys." Remus stood to give him a hug, a pat on the shoulder. "You didn't tell us you were coming, this meant to be a surprise?" Theo just nodded while Peter greeted him too. James was last. Theo cleared his throat.