Melodic Maladies- Sayamaru

stan sayamaru theyre so fucking cute

also this takes place in the dr:s universe!!

'You're never not by my side'

No.

'Your love is like-'

Overused.

'Only you can-"

Ugh.

Sayaka stared down at the pad of paper on the auburn desk, a warm light emanating from a nearby lamp. She huffed again as she erased yet another line of words, ripping the page in the process. Goddammit. She just sat there for a moment, before pushing the notepad off the desk and burying her face in her arms.

"Sayaka?" Komaru said from her spot on the bed, "You alright?"

Sayaka let out an exhausted mumble in response.

"You wanna call it a night? It's like- Aw jeez, two A.M."

Sayaka lifted her head slowly, and Komaru could see tears falling from the poor girl's eyes. Her gaze instantly softened and she made her way over to the desk.

"Hey, Sayaka, what's wrong?" Komaru gently spoke, tone sweeter than the sugaryiest honey Sayaka could imagine as she kept trying to think of how she was supposed to speak again, but all the words she wanted to say- no, scream, just died on her throat, coming out as incoherent mumbles and sobs.

"Saya, c'mere, let's sit down on the bed, okay?"

Sayaka grabbed the girl's hand, following her to the bed. Komaru wiped gently at the tears shed by the girl. Sayaka appreciated the gesture of not grabbing her face; She had always hated unnecessary eye contact.

Komaru laid back farther on the bed, patting the spot beside her. Sayaka got the message and crawled closer to her, laying against the wall with Komaru. Sayaka shifted so she was laying on top of Komaru, face hidden in the other girl's neck. Komaru hummed softly, combing her fingers through Sayaka's blue locks, a comfort for the other girl.

I'm just- scared." Sayaka said quietly, breaking the silence.

"Mm. Do you wanna talk about it?"

Sayaka nodded into Komaru's shoulder.

"I just- I was trying to write lyrics." Sayaka admitted.

"Hm? Don't you usually have people write them for you?"

"Well, I mean, yeah, but this whole camp is about trying new things, y'know?"

"Mhm."

"-And I need to keep expanding as an idol; I can't just keep doing the same thing. People will get bored and I'll... be forgotten." Sayaka's voice trembled, increasing in intensity as she stumbled through her words.

Komaru stayed silent, she didn't really know what to say. That was the issue with being the plainest girl ever and having a world-famous popstar girlfriend. Komaru just held her and rubbed at her back gently, not knowing what else she could really do.

"It's just- everything I worked for... gone," Sayaka started after consoling herself enough to speak. "I don't want to be forgotten, Komaru. I can't be." Sayaka practically sobbed out the last few words.

"Sayaka..." Komaru whispered softly, "You won't be forgotten. No matter what you'll always have people who care about you. Including me, always." Komaru didn't really know what came over her in that moment, but Sayaka's slight smile made her think it was a good thing.

"And Sayaka, this is your first time writing songs, right?

Sayaka nodded.

"Saya! You can't expect to be an expert immediately! Even for an Ultimate, writing songs is hard! You should'a seen my first time writing a manga! Terrible plotholes. And I was talking to that really cool strong girl in your class- Sakura, right?"

Sayaka nodded again, stifling a chuckle.

"Yeah, yeah! And I was really curious about how she got to be so strong, and she told me that when she first started she couldn't even beat her dad in a match. And now look at her! Strongest person in the world!"

Sayaka smiled at the girl in unspoken gratefulness, basking in the girl's neverending energeticness and vigor.

"And also, Toko's in your class! I bet she'd help you!" Komaru said cheerily.

"I don't think Toko exactly... likes me." Sayaka giggled.

"Really? Thought you guys were friends."

Sayaka giggled again at Komaru's obliviousness over Toko's obvious death-stares toward Sayaka, for no particular reason might she add.

"But whatever! Toko's my friend so she'll probably be okay with helping- and theres that Ibuki girl from class 2! She probably knows about writing songs."

"Ibuki does death metal" Sayaka laughed.

"Oh! Well she could probably still help, maybe." Komaru said sheepishly.

"You're so silly, Komaru."

"Wha- Hey! I was just try'na help!" Komaru spoke in mock-offence, a smile evident in her voice, even if Sayaka was looking to the wall behind her.

Sayaka chuckled, cuddling into Komaru a bit more.

They laid there in silence for a while, until the sounds of Sayaka's soft snores reached Komaru's ears. She smiled and pulled the blanket over Sayaka. Komaru's gaze fluttered aimlessly across the room: to the pale light of the moon through the curtains, to the small armchair and table, and to Sayaka's face, a content expression spread across her features.

Komaru would remember this night for awhile, she thought as sleepiness tugged on her weary eyes. She planted a quick kiss on Sayaka's forehead before letting herself fall asleep.

855 words :)