30. An "Upgrade"

Luke cornered me against the wall, wand against my forehead in warning

Luke cornered me against the wall, wand against my forehead in warning. "Tell us what you did to him, little witch."

"I didn't do anything," I pleaded. If I got murdered because these boneheads' truth detector was broken...

"The girl speaks the truth," came a new voice. A woman in dark robes crashed our scene. Her hair was golden, long, wavy, and beautiful. Her sharp eyes could cut someone in half if she stared at them long enough. "Get that wand off her forehead."

"Why? She's done something to him!"

"She hasn't." The woman remained calm. "I will not tell you again."

Reluctantly, Luke did. I remained against the wall. Blake kept close to a trembling Adam. A bad time to come to your senses, Adam. If something happens to him, it's going to be my fault.

"Clearly there are pieces missing to this puzzle," said the woman.

"If she'd fess up," said Luke, who kept his eyes on me, "then we could get to the bottom of this!"

"There's nothing to confess!" I protested.

"She's right," said the woman, calmly.

"All right then, what about you?" Blake asked Adam. "Why are you acting like you don't know us?"

"Because I don't!" Adam exclaimed. "I don't know any of you! I shouldn't! You're Death Eaters."

"You're one, dummy!"

"Actually, he's not. Not truly anyhow," said the woman. "Check his arms. He won't have the Mark, I assure you."

Adam struggled as Blake lifted both sleeves of Adam's. No Dark Mark to be seen.

"This fellow was Imperiused into Death Eater ranks," said the woman, a slight frown on her mouth. "When the person who cast the curse on him was killed, the spell wore off. This is why we don't Imperius people into the Death Eaters. We prefer actual loyalty."

Oh, Adam. Bree got her brother back, but now Adam was in a lot of hot water. All because of Liam. Even in death, he was still ruining peoples' lives.

"Get him tagged accordingly," said the woman. "Show him to his new home. I will gladly escort our most prestigious victor to her new quarters."

New? Did she have authority to pluck me like that? I didn't want to get transferred. What if Ember and Bree were never told I got moved? What if they assumed I died? I won't get the chance to tell Bree that Adam is back to his old self. Well, if we got rescued and they were to get reunited, I wouldn't have to say anything.

Adam fretted as Luke and Blake took him away. I didn't remove myself from the cool wall, not even when the woman nodded for me to join her.

"I wasn't sure why you were requested to attend the match, it was exclusive for members only," the woman drawled, picking at her nails. "But I think I'm beginning to understand it now. Not only are you one of our best fighters, there is some connection with you and the two duelers from earlier. Care to share?"

"No," I croaked.

She shrugged. "I shouldn't be worrying with trivial questions. Come, let me show you your new quarters."

Knowing that I had no choice, I followed beside the woman.

She did not engage in much conversation. Fine by me. My stomach was tumbling. Lack of food. Adam was now in Death Eater hands, but at least he wasn't on their side anymore. That wasn't the greatest of silver linings, because any protection he had had being a Death Eater was wiped out. Brian had killed Liam in battle. I was going to be separate from Ember and Bree. My mind swam and began to pound.

I was led to a higher level, where there were less occupants. With a flick of her wand, the woman opened my new quarters. I would be the first occupant. There looked to be no evidence of people staying in here before me.

The new cell was no upgrade. There was nothing in here worth comfort. No cot to sleep on, pillow or blankets. No sink to wash up in. No loo to use for my own privacy. Not even etchings into the walls for me to look at and interpret.

"For my efforts, I'm upgraded to solitude," I said to myself lowly.

"Don't tell me you prefer the crowded cell," said the woman.

"At least I'd have people to talk to instead of myself. You know what people say about talking to themselves. I thought since I was one of the more coveted 'victors' in this sick sport of yours, I would've gotten some luxuries."

"Oh, no, not at all. We only allow victors a fully belly, some new clothes, and bathing rights after they're successful in a match. The things you're thinking of are for those who come to their senses and join our ranks." The woman paused briefly. "I'm sure others have tried to persuade you to join us before, so I know there is no point in trying to sway you with my words. I do suggest you think about it, though. Having to kill to stay alive can take its toll. Wouldn't you like to stop having to fight for your life? Those cozy things you're thinking of...you could have them at your disposal."

"I'd be selling my soul. Your claim of 'freedom' would be false, because I'd still be under your rule."

"Things would be different."

I snorted. "Spoken like someone with grand delusions."

The woman's eyes narrowed on me.

"Are you one of the heads of this operation?" I asked thickly.

The woman smiled. It held no warmth. "Perhaps. But you will never know unless you pledge loyalty."

"You can keep trying this pitch all you want, but it's not going to work."

"I've heard those words before. So many have spoken them, and most if not all have had their minds...enlightened after a time."

"Because of your bullying methods, I'm sure. Pushing people to the brink of madness and giving them an offer that sounds so good when in reality it's a bunch of bollocks."

"Just bear in mind that after so many refusals on your part if you decide to see the light, we can just as easily refuse you. There's only so many times a person can ask something of someone before they give up."

No need to worry about that, because that day will never come.

On that chilling note, the woman left me to my new quarters. My new, lonely quarters. As far as I knew, no one occupied the neighboring cells. The only interaction I'd get now was if I heard chatter make its way up to me. Or I got another Death Eater to pull me from my cell to shove me into another death match.

Having to kill to stay alive can take its toll. Wouldn't you like to stop having to fight for your life? Those cozy things you're thinking of...you could have them at your disposal. The woman was clearly mad to even think the offer was good. I'd seen what crossing over to the Death Eater side had done to a person, it was not a good look.

Come on, Aurors, where are you? Surely you've found something by now. Please. Please, find us. Stop them. Countless lives are gone because of them. Stop them before they take more.

Please, Neville. Tears welled in my eyes at the mention of his name. My poor Auror. I wanted to believe my gut would tell me if something terrible had happened to him, but I wasn't so sure now. With everything I had endured, and with what was to come...my instincts might be out of tune.