27.

Chapter 27.

I heard the familiar sound that always welcomed my ears each morning from the age of 3 to 18 years of age, before I left home; the creak of my bedroom door.

I cracked my eyes open, the sun still binding through the window, and looked straight ahead.

Before me was my mother, standing by the door looking in at us. I didn't really want to speak to her, or not right now anyway. She had pissed me off more than she thought possible.

I hadn't always had a bad tempered head, but she had pushed too far when she started going on about money and "what was right for me."

As Xavier still slept beside me, his arm lightly draped over mine, I wish my mother would just leave us, but instead she was looking in on us like two lions at a zoo, and I wasn't at all pleased.

"What do you want?" I asked in a hushed whisper, making sure I didn't disturb Xavier in any way. He needed his sleep, he had been up all night driving me here. A place where I no longer really felt myself, even after just being here for half a day.

"I'm sorry about earlier, I just wanted to make sure you were going to be safe." She replied. Her subtle pink lips were pulled into a frown, and I almost felt sorry for her as her eyes met mine. I knew, deep down, she didn't mean any harm.

"Safe?" I scoffed anyway. I was still annoyed. Majorly annoyed. "Money doesn't keep anyone safe. If you don't believe me, try calling dad, I'm sure he'd tell you." I knew it was a low blow as soon as I had said it.

And I almost, almost, felt bad for letting the words come out of my mouth.

"Emily, you know that isn't fair." My mother gasped. Her eyes took on a darkening colour. I knew she had loved my father, hell, apparently so did I. But he wasn't here now, and I'm not really sure why. I just know money had gotten the best of him, like it did many others. It didn't make me the only one.

Ironically, he didn't leave my mother much money, but she was still living okay.

"I just came to say sorry." She sighed. I sighed after her. Like mother like daughter.

"It's not me you're supposed to say sorry to, mum. What about Xavier? He didn't need you jumping down his neck as soon as he opened the front door." I was being a little dramatic, and I'm sure Xavier could hold his own, he was strong enough mentally to take on my mother, but it doesn't mean anything when deep inside, I knew he was nervous, vulnerable and just wanted to make a good impression.

"I will when he's awake. I'm not sure I should be letting you two-" I lifted up my hand to stop her from saying anymore.

"I am an adult. He's my boyfriend," I didn't know if that was technically true, but we had to be. "And you are going to get out of my room and let Xavier sleep. Please." I never forgot to use my manners, even when deep inside I didn't really want to use them. The opposite quite literally.

My mother sighed again and I knew she wanted to keep on arguing until she had her own way. But she had nothing to argue against and she knew it.

"I'm going. Come down whenever you're both ready." She sounded defeated and she gave one fleeting look to Xavier before closing the door softly behind her.

I sighed in reply and laid my head back down on the pillow. As soon as I did so, Xavier began to stir.

"Xavier?" I tried to get his attention. I looked to him and his eyes snapped open. He looked down at his top.

"What is it?" He asked, his eyes blinking until his sleep dazed state had vanished somewhat.

"My mother just came in."