Chapter 33: Putting on an act (pt. 2)

Considering how big the town hall's drawing room was, Lucius found comfort in that he could keep some distance between him and Damien. He was not fond of the idea that they'd be too close for too long and Damien would spot something to blow his identity, but mostly he just didn't want to be close to the man at all.

In spite of this, Damien sat down on the chair next to Lucius, as if they were about to be friendly or something equally ridiculous.

"Is this... Your preferred side of the table, or something?" Lucius asked, giving the less than preferable space between them a sceptical glance. "I don't mind moving if so."

Damien measured the distance with his eyes as well, but was not bothered by it.

"There's no need to sit so far apart when it's just the two of us."

"I think anyone with manners would beg to differ," Lucius insisted. "I don't even have a chaperone with me."

"We're not that close." Damien had the nerve to scoff. "It's a good enough placement for a casual conversation."

Lucius released a dignified sigh and leaned back. He'd just won over the people of the town, so he supposed he could play nice.

Just not that nice.

"Very well, then. Let's talk." He gestured towards Damien. "I assume it will start with an apology."

Damien raised an eyebrow.

"An apology?"

"It was quite an unbecoming situation for you, and while you have my everlasting pity, you must realise I was put in a position of discomfort as well." Lucius hid a sneer. "Had it not been for your misguided idea that you can take the law in your own hands, I would not have been forced to play judge."

"The former judge never found any issue with how I handle things." Damien's eyes were more bored than cold. "It should not come as a surprise that this town means a lot of work for a man like him, and sometimes us higher ranking crowds can handle what slips through the cracks."

"You are a merchant, Lord Hargreaves," Lucius reminded him, trying to look equally bored by squinting a little. "A glorified one, but not the kind of person fit to make decisions like that."

"And you are?" Damien suddenly looked amused. "Let's not be hypocritical, Lady Cromwell."

Lucius curled his lip at the amusement.

"I don't like to do others' jobs, but I will not stand around and see potentially innocent girls being hanged on a mere whim."

"Even if it had been on a whim, you're in the wrong town if it's mercy you want." Damien nodded towards the window. "People want to see blood."

"People want to be entertained." Lucius didn't break eye contact. "But I imagine that with men like you in charge, death is the closest they've gotten."

Damien laughed softly.

"And you're planning on changing that, I assume?"

"I think it would be a pleasant change." Lucius smiled. "And from the looks of today, they don't seem to despise me as much as you've implied."

"They did seem... More amiable than usual," Damien admitted, a wrinkle forming between his eyebrows as he stared Lucius down. "That doesn't mean you should get too comfortable."

"I will do my best as usual, of course," Lucius said, letting his sophisticated voice slide into smug territory. "But it makes me wonder if I couldn't manage this town quite well."

His pleasant grin widened.

"Alone."

"So you're going to let one day of people agreeing not to hang someone stop you from going through with the marriage?" Damien didn't roll his eyes, but his voice suggested it was all he wanted at the time. "Don't you think you're getting ahead of yourself?"