══ Chapter Nine ══

The streets and alleys were overflowing with life, a cruel comparison with her new reality. That morning after walking around Sydney Gardens, allowing nature to act as a cleansing diversion, she had called for Mary to make haste or breakfast would turn cold. Minutes later, her little nephew took her hand, painfully reminding Jane that mama is on an adventure! It had hit her like a tsunami, an earthquake, deep in her gut, lungs constricted. She forced the best smiling expression available in her repertory and thanked Edward.

Following lunch, she strolled to the center of town. A mild welcome received her arrival in the flower shop. The eldest Barnes had an absorbing day ahead, but momentarily sweet primaveral scents were embraced. Blooming sunflowers aimed to lighten her mood. Jane did not dwell on their beauty much longer, as her single assignment in that place was to purchase fresh rosemary. Once that was done, next in the list was acquiring black laces and petite jewelry (rings or necklaces). Those last objects would contain a lock of Mary's hair, physical memories to give to her birth family and new kin. At the end, they would secure the arrangement together in order to offer them as gifts for those who attended the funeral after tomorrow's sunset.

"You are Miss Jane Barnes?" a hoarse voice asked behind her.

Jane turned around, still with five different qualities and designs of laces in between her fingers. "Indeed. What may I assist you with, sir?"

The man was gripping tightly his cane, body curved as if his weight made it impossible to stand straight. He was dressing with sophisticated attires, the fabric a clear indication of his station.

"You must address me as Lord Hardy, is that comprehensible for you?"

"Yes...Lord Hardy?" Jane replied with a tense tone. That was Mr. Hardy's father. He seemed to barely resist gravity, his skin almost translucent. She understood better a thing or two about Thomas.

"Very well. Listen to me now. My son, heir to my name, is to marry with a respectable lineage. I do not expect you to understand the concept of duty. Nevertheless, he does and will, therefore, sever all associations with you."

"With all due respect, sir, in case you have not noticed, Mr. Thomas Hardy is an adult and mature enough to make his own decisions."

Despite Lord Hardy's unstable and pyretic physical condition, his lifeless eyes burnt through Jane, infusing freezing fire directly into her veins. "You will do well in not testing me. Furthermore, I expect your family's partnership as much as yours. When my son attempts to engage in a conversation with you, my trust is placed in a hurtful rejection."

Jane was left with unspoken replies to his daring pronouncement. That shell of a man had just dared to intrude her life and cause turmoil to every fiber of sanity she had left. It mortified Jane to admit that Lord Hardy's words represented an intimidating menace difficult to ignore. During the minutes she stood frozen in the same position, her hands were trembling, cold fingers holding each other seeking control. Survival was a mystery, an aptitude selected people possessed. Thomas was one of them. And once that imposed thought settled, her muscles regained the ability to move.

━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━

Arthur had been rehearsing with his cousin the precise terms to express accurately his feelings since the following night of their dinner with Jane and her siblings; consequently, unaware of the recent events inside The Barnes home.

As the vigil ending hour approached, an obscure cloud settled over them. George had not recovered any trace of emotion that could aid in deciphering his behaviour; whoever came to offer their respects and support did not earn a reaction. His son was not privileged with a look from him either. As far as it concerned Jane, the attitude Edmund had was a total contrast: resembling water on the edge of boiling or fire just starting to rise. William did not display signs of acting close to plethoric, but instead with restraint, as if he was the first-born. The youngest of them all experienced a crescent reliance on his confidant, the sole person he needed at that moment.