~41: Leo~

I sent a ball of magic from Brynhildr towards the mages, paralyzing them. The Hoshidan soldiers rushed forward, tackling them.

My eyes trailed over the troops, looking for Iago.

He'd been running from us for six months, using the last of the mages to create Faceless to come for us. We'd tracked him down to the woods near Fort Jinya, but no one had spotted him yet.

I sighed, as I paralyzed more mages, before urging my horse forward. Takumi moved in step with my horse, his bow out and ready.

"Any sign of him?" I asked.

"Not yet. Oboro and Niles went ahead, but I haven't heard from them yet."

A Faceless fell nearby, the soldier pulling his sword from its body.

Movement from the trees pulled my attention, and I glared into the darkness. I pointed over, and Takumi rushed over.

The figure noticed, then took off. I snapped the reins, and my horse took off, passing Takumi.

"Leo, wait!"

I ignored his calls, flipping Brynhildr's pages, looking for the spell I needed. My eyes met with Iago's as I passed him, his widening in shock. I pulled my horse to a stop in front of him.

Niles and Oboro jumped from the trees, with Takumi joining to stop his chance of escape. Iago only chuckled nervously as he watched us.

"Well, that's not fair, now is it? Four against one? I thought you'd know better!"

"Not fair?" I hissed.

He looked at me again, a crazed grin growing.

"Still upset over losing little Mey? It's been six months now! People usually get over that kinda thing by now!"

I grit my teeth, magic rising from Brynhildr's pages. Iago grew nervous, looking for a way to escape. Niles and Takumi notched arrows, pointing them at Iago. He grew still before sighing.

"Come now, you can't let me have a little fun?"

"Fun's over, Iago. You've done enough damage to both kingdoms, and there's no need for you anymore."

"So cold, Prince Leo! Couldn't you be any nicer to me? King Garon treated me exceptionally well!"

I sent the ball of magic at him, but he dodged it. Takumi sent an arrow at him, hitting him in the side. He yelped as he fell, and Niles sent another arrow to his other side.

He fell to his knees as I summoned more magic. Our eyes met for a moment, his grin growing again.

"Her death was such a joy to watch-"

I sent the magic at him, destroying his body. He cried out in pain before falling over. I started summoning more magic, but Niles took Brynhildr from me.

"Niles!" I barked.

He jumped back as I reached for it, instead tucking it in his own pouch.

"If you plan to use magic until you can't, then I'll take Brynhildr. You're still exhausted from yesterday's battle, and need time to rest. Iago is dead this time, and there's no need to waste any more energy on him."

He started away, back to where we'd left camp. I grit my teeth as I urged my horse forward to follow him. Oboro and Takumi stayed behind, keeping their distance.

"He doesn't get to talk about Amethyst like that," I muttered.

"He only said that to egg you on. You know he's like that, and you gave in to his lies. I get that you're still upset. But you can't let your anger control you like that. Look where it got Amethyst and Takumi. They both need dragon stones to help control their anger."

"Needed..." I corrected quietly.

Niles paused before sighing.

"We can make it back to the castle by nightfall. Let's just keep moving, and there shouldn't be any more problems."

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. A soldier ran past us as we emerged from the trees, revealing the fort. Sakura jumped from her chair when she saw us, clutching her staff close to her.

"Looks like camp is almost ready to leave," Takumi muttered from behind me.

"Do you want to send them ahead? We can stay behind and finish everything up," Oboro suggested.

"Probably..."

We stopped at the edge of camp, and Sakura stopped in front of us.

"Is everyone alright?" she asked.

"Iago is dead. If we leave now, we can make it home by nightfall. Do you want to go ahead while we finish up here?" Takumi asked.

Sakura frowned, nervous. But she nodded.

"Yeah, we can go ahead! You'll be alright?"

"Mhm. Leo, stay with my sister."

I nodded, keeping my gaze ahead. Sakura went to find Subaki before they joined us. I urged my horse forward again after Niles climbed up behind me.

I heard the others in the camp join us slowly, as Sakura and Subaki flew over us. I sighed, closing my eyes.

"Let's just get back to the capital..."

~ * ~

Azura looked up from where she sat on the steps. Her skin had a little more color to it, but it could've just been the light.

Her eyes lit up when she saw us. Her want to run to us was visible, but she didn't have the strength to walk on her own. Kaze stood at her side, watching us as we stopped in the courtyard.

I climbed down, taking Brynhildr as Niles held it out.

"What will you do now? Iago's dead," he asked.

I grew still, turning my attention to the ground.

"I don't know..." I muttered.

Sakura moved past me to sit with Azura. I paused before walking past them and heading inside.

I didn't know what else to do, so I headed to the library. After grabbing a couple of books, I left, making my way to my room. When I got there, I paused. Niles watched me, waiting for me to speak. Instead, I just shut the door, leaving him outside.

I slipped out of my armor and into a new tunic before climbing under the covers. I set the books aside, then buried myself under the blanket.

~ * ~