Prologue

~Prologue~
~Willows POV~

I scream in terror as me and my little brother Rye are forced to watch our parents, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark burn to death.

The peacekeepers hold our faces tight and peel our eyes open so we witness our parents being tortured. I scream and kick and spit but they're holding me too tight. Tears gush down my cheeks as I listen to the ear pitching shrieks from my mom and dad.

My eyes burn and my hands are grazed from hitting the floor so hard. Im wailing so hard the peacekeeper stuffed a cloth so far into my mouth and in my throat, I gag and cant breathe. My whole body goes numb and all I can hear is ringing. I fall to the ground choking still and the peacekeeper falls down too. Soon a circle of blood soaks into their clean white uniform and a pair of hands grab me and my brother.

I look up to see its Gale and he grabs me from the stomach and squeezes at my waist until I spit the cloth out. I gasp for air and hug him as tight as I can.

It seems like were hugging forever. I don't want to let go. I cant. The shrieks have stopped...

I burst into tears in his arms and he pulls me and my brother up to look at him.
"Im so sorry." He says through sobs. "I couldn't save them, forgive me." after a long pause he continues. "We have to get back to twelve, get you two new identities and try to stay hidden." And after that, he pulls both of us on his back and runs as fast as he can deep into the woods.