PART II SORCERESS

I was looking at myself in the mirror as I put my hair up in a tight bun. "Ten years passed since I first came here" I told myself. "I am no longer a scared 14-year-old. I am a sorceress trained by none other than Madam Suliman".

 As I got dressed in my black trousers and red and gold jacket I couldn't help but think that today is the day I start my service as a sorceress assistant at the King's palace. I was not sure what to make of it. I was not sure of my powers. I was rather upset since I was required to be present in the palace most of the time, not even speaking of going back home. "At least they let you go to high school and live a regular life while learning spells, charms and potions" I told myself in a reflection and sighed.

On my way to Madam Suliman I met some servants, fellow sorcerers and sorceresses as well as regular visitors. Most of them were talking about the same thing – the great and scary wizard Howl. I couldn't stand hearing another thing about him. Learning magic in the palace I was compared to him quite often. Even though I never met him, I developed some sort of hatred towards him. It seemed he was better at everything as I constantly heard Madam Suliman say "Howl this... Howl that...". Oh, how happy I was to learn he had betrayed Madan Suliman by entering a contract with a demon! The greatest, the only one, the best of the best has fallen!

Since then, many rumors spread about his whereabouts. People say Howl seduces pretty girls and eats their hearts. If that's true, these girls must be dead stupid to trust such a vain person. I once heard he dates Witch o the Waste. "What a great couple!" I laughed to myself as I finally reached the door. It opened instantly as if Madam Suliman knew I was standing there. Perhaps she did.

"Y/N, dear, please come sit with me," she said, "would you like some tea?" 

I politely agreed and was served with hot steaming tea at once. 

"Just as I like" I said, "You know me well, Madam Suliman." I smiled at her. 

Madam Suliman was, as always, very calm and stoic. It was difficult to read her. I was afraid she might tell me I am not ready for a mission yet. I was afraid she might tell me that I am ready as well. I tried my best to hide my anxiety as I sipped my hot tea.

"Yes dear, I know you quite well. This is why I believe I can trust you with this mission" Madam Suliman said. "As you might remember, I had an apprentice who eventually fled the palace and entered a contract with a demon" she continued. 

As if I could forget, years after he's gone, I am still reminded of him.

"Yes, I do" I answered trying not to show any disgust.

"It seems Howl has gotten himself in a trouble. As far as we know, he is held by Witch of the Waste." Madam Suliman said.

"I see" I said quietly, hoping it has nothing to do with my mission.

"We wouldn't worry about helping him. After all he'd done, perhaps he deserves it" she continued. "Nonetheless, Witch of the Waste might be planning on taking Howl's heart, which would not only kill him, but also double her powers. She'd become unpredictable and uncontrollable" Said Madam Suliman with a concern on her face.

I sat there holding my cup of tea realizing what Madam Suliman is about to say. I waited patiently trying not to let my feelings take over me. I didn't want to do anything with Howl nor Witch of the Waste.

"Did you hear me, Y/N?" Madam Suliman asked. "I need you to find Howl and bring him the palace. If that would be impossible, you must kill Witch of the Waste, Howl, or both." She finished with a determined voice.

"Um, yes, I understand." I responded.

"Good." She said "Now get some rest while you can, you are leaving this afternoon".

After I left Madam Suliman I couldn't apprehend what was I expected to do. Go to the Waste? Find Howl? Kill them if impossible to bring to the palace? Huh? Perhaps I am a sorceress, but not a superwoman or supermen for that matter. I had mixed feelings. On one hand I was kind of excited for my first mission, finally I am trusted with something that big. On the other hand, I was afraid and nervous. I knew which spells to use to kill someone, but I doubted I wanted to use them, even on Howl or Witch of the Waste.

When I came back to my room I started packing immediately. I only took necessary things I would need on my way to the Waste. "God knows where I'll have to stay for the night." I muttered to myself. I took my bag and glanced at myself in the mirror once again. I liked the way I looked. It was different from my world and maybe that made it even more attractive to me. High waisted black trousers made me feel like I was a bit higher. I couldn't fool anyone about my heigh though, it was obvious I'm pretty small. Where trousers ended, started my favorite red and gold jacket. It was somewhat as a crop top back home, only it met perfectly with trousers and didn't show any skin. Underneath I wore a plain white cotton shirt which was pleasantly soft to my skin.

"Great" I said, "If I die today, they will find me looking absolutely stunning."

Five minutes later I found myself on a busy street. I used my ring for navigation, it showed me which way the Waste was. I started walking towards where blue light was going. I didn't want to use magic to move faster. It could make me stand out and scare off Witch of the Waste if she was out for a walk perhaps trying to curse someone.