Chapter 21 - They're Just Strange Acquaintances

Darianna

Now what the hell was all that about? I shouldn't have listened but for some reason I still did something I knew I'd regret. He asked me for a dance and for some reason I said yes.

It was only supposed to be a dance yet the way he looked at me, that hungry gaze, I froze up. And once he leaned in I nearly let him kiss me. I had to back away and leave, I couldn't do that. Maybe I should've just stayed with Femi instead. That balcony was nice. But then again, staying meant also being stuck with Ashton and that was a definite no. 

I took out my phone and gave Femi a quick text saying I had to leave and she answered in about a second. Worrying of course, asking if I'm alright so I had to reassure her that I really was okay.

I sat on a bench near a park and looked at the sky instead of going home. If I waited a little longer he would've been asleep and then I could go. But for now I just let the warm breeze tickly my skin as I listened the rustling of the leaves. 

.

.

Femi had been pestering me all morning about my "supposed" crush on Mako which was one of the dumbest things I'd ever heard. 

She really mistook my behaviour for me liking him. I just didn't feel like being near him that's all. He'd seen me cry, something even Femi hadn't and heard bits about my homelife. I couldn't feel comfortable knowing that he'd seen so much about me. It was a suffocating feeling.

But also I just felt strange, whenever I was near him my heart would be at ease and for some reason I always wanted to stay by his side a little longer. It was strange, so strange and I hated it.

I didn't have a crush nor was I in love, I was just acting a bit out of it. Just hadn't slept enough, 'yeah that's all'.

Femi wrapped her arm around me and looked at me with expectant eyes.

"You sure you don't like someone?" She giggled.

"God you're so annoying."

Her grin grew wider and I just wanted to wipe that smug face off her mouth.

"Maybe we should focus on your love life instead." I smiled and Femi gave me a confused look. "Y'know, you and Ashton. What happened to you hating him? Doesn't seem that way too me anymore."

She backed away from me and her eyes went wide. I could tell how flustered she'd become and I smirked.

"Me and Ashton are not like that! We're barely even friends, just strange acquaintances?" It sounded like Femi became more unsure by the end and I hummed.

"Ohhh, I see. Sure, sure."

Femi's brows knitted together and she huffed which caused me to chuckle. She was such an easy person to read.

She let out a sigh then gave me a soft smile. "It's just nice seeing you like this, you've dated several times before but you never had such a glow when you were with them." Her voice went quiet, "sometimes I wondered if it all changed because of E-"

"Thanks Femi. Really, but I'm honestly not into anyone right now. Love has never really been my thing."

Femi eyed me for a moment and her eyes went droopy. She gave me a slow nod.

I let out a sigh and gave her a small smile. "Well, guess who finally got a parttime job."

Her eyes lit up and she looked at me with a bright smile.

"You got a job? Nice!"

"Yup, can't wait to get my money," I smirked and Femi giggled.

"Good for you, I'm not even gonna bother applying for jobs," she sighed. "By the way what job did you get?"

"Oh, just the convenience store near that really big hotel."

"Ah nice, maybe I'll visit you." She smiled but I bumped her shoulder.

"Girl, you'd be distracting. Don't even."

She laughed and wrapped her arm around mine as we walked to class together.

My first shift would start today after school and hopefully it wouldn't go too badly.