7. Choices

Raven sat in her seat and watched the unconscious Dreykov for a moment as she bounced with anticipation. Both Wade and Loki noticed the change in her and raised a brow before continuing with their own thing. Loki was going to fly this time while Wade worked on getting as much information down as possible for the mission report. He did not report to Fury, that much was obvious, but he did try to be amicable with Logan and the professor. He didn't fear much but he didn't want to cross his old friend's god father. When they were in the air, both men asked why the injured woman was so giddy. 

"Yelena and Kate offered to train me in the ways of a widow. Not just some stuff or enough to survive, but as a widow! Can you believe it?"

Both men pursed their lips before responding slowly. "Noo, I can honestly say that I don't believe it." Loki had to drag the response from deep in his chest. He knew something was wrong if the pair had offered to train the newest soulmate to the soldiers.

Wade was in a similar mindset but for different reasons. "You know that will never happen again, right? None of us would allow you to be in that position again. Why didn't you use your own defense to help yourself today?"

Raven sat up straighter and her smile dropped to a very serious glare. "Wade, you are treading on thin ice. I didn't want to raise any flags. I was a nameless face of a pawn for you two today. If I had used my ability, I would have truly placed a target back on my back, yet again. If you continue to bring that up Wade, I will personally sew your mouth shut. Leave my past where it is. Do you understand me?" Her voice took on an edge that had both men flinching slightly as Loki watched Wade nod once hesitantly. 

"Raven, I only bring it up because you still haven't talked to anyone about it. You broke up with Scott and left the school less than a week after they got you back. You ran into me because Logan had planned it that way. Nobody wanted to see you alone and you weren't talking. Babe, everyone was worried. You told them to help you fake your death. They were worried sick."

It was a rare moment when Wade was serious. Loki had gathered that rather quickly just from the day they had spent together and was shocked to see just how genuine he was being with the woman. What made it worse was her look as she listened to him. Loki was only able to glance before realizing this was not the time for multi-tasking and flipped on the jet's autopilot. When Wade was done, Raven sat in silence for another moment before speaking.

"It was all a set up? You never wanted to be my friend. Logan forced you into it? I guess good on you. You're lying skills are definitely something remarkable. I always seem to fall into this crowd of friends. I am an idiot. Let me know when we land." 

Without giving either man a chance to speak, she moved to the back of the plane to watch Dreykov as she put her earbuds in. 

Loki shifted in order to pat Wade's shoulder before moving to the seat behind him. Just as Loki began to think he would need to prompt the crazed mercenary, Wade spoke up. 

"It wasn't like that. I wasn't forced to do anything. Logan only asked me to help the teen version of that girl. She is only a couple years younger than me, five to be specific. I saw her pain the moment we met. I only wanted to help her so I taught her some basic self defense. Next thing I know, she was saving the Mini-Carter at school. After that they were inseparable. Peggy took her under her wing and helped her learn everything she needed to excel at Shield. She never used her greatest defense though. I taught her how to use it in a pinch and we forged a true friendship through all of our work. I never felt coerced or like she was a burden. I hate to think that she thinks that about me and what we have become. I just think she needs to let it out. She bottles her pain and I am worried about the explosion when the bottle gets too full."