Tlachta

"Tell no one," he'd said as they followed the passage back toward the others. Then he'd turned to her, confirmed her agreement with a smoldering look, and re-entered the noise and stagnancy and stench of the hall.

Emery hadn't stayed long after that, though, and convinced Tess that they should go to bed. The time was late, and these men could carry on for hours. Also, Emery was unable to re-engage in regular conversation with all the new information swimming in her mind, and she was afraid of revealing something if she grew too tired or let down her guard.

That night, she fell into bed exhausted and confused but a bit elated as well. She'd finally made some ground with Cullen--she'd finally done what Cathbad had asked of her and found out something about what'd happened the night she was wed. The only problem now was that she didn't think Cullen would want her to tell the druid any of it. He'd said to tell no one, and didn't Cathbad count as someone? The secrets were starting to build up, and Emery wasn't sure how good she'd be at keeping them. She had secrets about her dreams, and now she had secrets about the four treasures she and Cullen were supposed to acquire. Presumably it wasn't a big deal to have Lugh's Spear and the Sword of Light out in the open, and if Cullen gained the Dagda's Cauldron, that would also be an acceptable item to have out in public. These were fairly gained, all of them, and who would think otherwise? But the Stone of Destiny belonged to all, and it'd been considered a sacred object—all four monarchs were angry it'd gone missing. Emery realized that even Conchobar didn't know his own chieftain had stolen it.

No one knew but the two of them—she and him. They shared a secret. The realization was invigorating. It made her want to know everything that had happened that night, everything, and she wanted to ask him to tell her all of it, but she couldn't, of course.

The following morning, Emery and Tess slept quite late. By the time they woke, the sun was nearly overhead, and they didn't know what to do with themselves. Thankfully, a woman arrived and brought heated water so they could bathe, and after they dressed, both headed out of the chamber and toward the feasting hall, the only other room they had seen. People milled about--not many, but enough to help the girls understand that there was porridge in a cauldron over the firepit. Obtaining some as well as bread, they found places at a table and ate their breakfast.

"Where do you think everyone is?" Tess asked, scooping porridge into her mouth.

Emery, none too keen on porridge, focused more on the bread. "I don't know. I haven't a clue where anyone else is staying. But we can go find the horses after this. I'd like to see Liath Macha, and the pony, too. They have to be stabled somewhere nearby."

"I named the pony!" Tess chirped. "I forgot to tell you. I'm going to call him Cookie Dough."

"Cookie Dough?" Emery raised an eyebrow.

Tess beamed, entirely unaware of her friend's reaction. "His coat is sort of speckled, like with chocolate chips, and he's so sweet. That's why I thought of it. What do you think?"

"Well, nobody here will know what it means," Emery said, realizing that was the one good thing about the name. She might have had more to say but was grateful to see Cathbad suddenly enter the hall, frazzled, relieved to spot them. He hurried over, cloak flowing behind him, paraphernalia secured but jostling a bit.

"You are awake at last!" The man whooshed onto the bench across from them. He seemed in a hurry, and Emery suddenly felt rushed to eat her meal. "I have been with Tlachta, the druidess. She wishes to speak to the both of you."

The girls looked at one another, then back to Cathbad. Emery frowned at the man. "Where is everybody?"

The druid flicked a glance at each. "They left this morning, for the raid . . . did you not hear what I said?"