Chapter 13. Schemes.

Schemes are like fruit, they require a certain ripening.

~ George R.R. Martin

Chapter 13.
Schemes.

March brought warmer weather. The sun shone brightly, the snow melted, and the farmers of Apple Wine began making preparations for the planting season.

"And Jimmy? Where is Jimmy?" Michael grumbled as he and Elisha rode back from the general store in Apple Wine. They had been sent there but their father to purchase some new farming tools and inquire about when the seeds would be ready for sale.

"He's not with us, that's for sure," Elisha grumbled back. "How come you and I have to help with all the planning and preparations? Usually Jimmy is Pa's right hand man."

"Maybe he's finally getting tired of farming." Michael offered. Elisha only shrugged.

April came around and the Carthwrite boys found themselves behind the plows, preparing the soil for planting.

One afternoon Sam came out to see how his sons were doing and was surprised to find only two out in the fields as opposed to three.

"Where's Jimmy?" He called out.

Elisha and Michael looked up from their work and glanced around.

"He's...uh...he's gone I guess." Elisha said at last. " He was just here not long ago."

Sam frowned. "If I had come and found Jimmy alone that wouldn't have been so surprisin'. But to have the two of you and him gone? Somethin' ain't right."

"He's been behaving strange ever since the weather got warmer," Elisha said with a shrug.

"He's not at the...well...the whore house is he?" Sam asked in a concerned tone.

Michael shook his head. "He hasn't frequented places like that in over two years. Why would he suddenly go now?"

Sam said nothing more. Elisha figured his father would speak to their prodigal brother and focused his attention back on the work. Michael, on the other hand, stood deep in thought. "Jimmy always puts head, heart, and soul into farming. What's up with him now? Pa obviously will ask him, but that don't mean he's gonna tell the truth. This will take some lookin' into."

***

With the weather now warm, the days longer, and the general feel of spring in the air, Susan and Jimmy found their evening walks beginning earlier than during the winter.

Susan took a deep breath, enjoying the sweetness of the evening breeze. "I just love the weather," she sighed. "After that horrid winter. Things must be busy at the farm right now."

"They are," Jimmy agreed. "Apart from the animals and the plantin' of crops, Michael is also  preparing for entrance exams at the teaching academy in Franklin."

This was surprising news and Susan even halted from the shock of it.

"Michael will be studying at the academy? Isn't he...that is to say...is he healthy enough?"

Jimmy reached for her arm and pulled her a bit to get them walking again.

"Uncle Ernest gave him a clean bill of health," he explained. "We thought that maybe he could prepare this year and take the entrance exams next year, but Michael doesn't want to waste any more time. He's been studying all winter and feels confident that he can do it."