Chapter One

-Althea

I push through the long grass, ignoring the sting and itch is gave my legs. I could feel my thighs burn with the exertion. I could see his figure, not far off. He stumbled closer, but his ankle go caught in a long piece of grass, and tripped over face first.

Seeing him brings a smile to my face everytime. It's not just the friendship we share, but the deeper feeling that has been growing for 5 years now. Of course, he sees me as just a friend, and I'm pretty positive he always will. But I continue to hang to every moment we get together, while neither of us are mated.

I burst out laughing, as I flopped down beside him. He sat up, rubbing his forehead. He looked up at me through thick rimmed glasses, giving me a lopsided smile. His smile seems to light up more than the massive globe that slowly lights up the sky. The grass sways around us in the slight breeze, brushing against my covered arms.

"Graceful," I comment, letting my chuckles die down. He straightened his thin, lanky legs in front of him. He's wearing shorts, which is odd for this time of the morning. His fashion sense has never been the best, but the quality is impeccable.

Landon always complains about how he isn't very strong, or attractive as the other males he went to school with. He's a little too skinny, his eyes are sometimes too lifeless, and his hair never stays in one place for very long. Popular or not, I see Landon as an extremely generous, sweet guy who's ego isn't related to the size of his biceps.

This is where my best friend Landon and I always meet up; in the grass paddock that is situated right at the end of pack territory. Today though, he didn't seem to burst with whatever had happened in the palace he lives in. Usually the news is exciting and brings us more than a few laughs.

The thought of living in a palace, surrounded by many opportunities like Landon has seems like a dream. But it's his reality, and sometimes I wish his stories were something I could experience one day. Too bad I wasn't born into the power of an Alpha family like he was.

"So, excited for tonight?" I ask curiously. Tonight is his nineteenth birthday party, and the day he will turn into my new Alpha. He sighed and looked off across the paddock. I knew him well enough to know he is distracted. And Landon distracted is never normal.

For years he's been anticipating this day. I don't blame him...Imagine being able to do what you want, rule a pack and become seemingly stronger. I realize this will taint our friendship, especially since his need to find a mate to help him rule he pack becomes more of a priority.

"Not particularly," he muttered, sweeping a hand through his soft brown hair so it flopped over his forehead. I've always loved his hair, especially the way is shines under the warm sun. Only I notice the way those few strands of golden hair entwine around the rest. I wouldn't call myself obsessed, just more of an observer.

"Why not? This is what you have been dreaming about since you started school," I say truthfully. He has always told me he was bullied at his school for being twig thin and useless. Everyone had told him he would never become Alpha because he's too weak.

That stuff hit him hard, and now I can tell he's becoming more anxious, and is over thinking. He's doesn't need to, though.

"I'm not Alpha material," he sighed, picking at the grass by his side. I tilted my head, then shook it. He can't be serious. I watch him form a pile in front of him. He knows his way around the pack, and has been capable of ruling one since he turned 13. Even his father believes, and his father scares everyone in this pack.

"You know you will phase? Think of everyone who won't," I state. I myself am forever stuck in my awkward body. And I know for sure that once he shifts, I'll be just a sad memory of his childhood. I can imagine the girls all over him, wanting a piece of their Alpha, while I sit on the side, unnoticeable.