3. The Late-Night Praying

Much too early for my liking, I awoke to Argalus splashing a pitcher of cold water over me. "Get up- oh, don't give me that look, cold water is good for your complexion- that Thamyris king guy is still asleep, so you should get going before he wakes up. Otherwise he might awkwardly try to court you again."

From my now sopping-wet bed, I stared dully up at my brother. "Never wake me up again."

Argalus just rolled his eyes. "Get up."

"Okay, okay." I rose to a sitting position and rubbed at my eyes, yawning widely. Argalus ducked out into the hall, and I heard him ordering one of the maids to bring up breakfast. Not more than five minutes later, we were sitting at a table in my quarters with a tray of bread, wine, and, surprisingly, salted fish between us.

I pointed at the fish skeptically. It was my favorite- pomfret-, and I immediately figured he had some sort of ulterior motive. "Why?" Was all I said.

Argalus shook his head like his reasoning was obvious. "You'll focus better on your archery if you eat a big breakfast," he explained.

I squinted at him for a moment, before he let out a huff, the air hissing it from between his clenched teeth. "Fine," he relented, brushing his hair back away from his eyes. "I'm going to be out of town until Kronia. You're going to have to finish your archery practice on your own. I'm sorry." He looked guilty, slumping down in his chair like he wanted to disappear.

Reaching toward the platter, I pointedly took the largest piece of pomfret and took a bite. Only after I had swallowed did I reply: "Why are you leaving?"

Argalus' expression was pained. "Father's sending me on a quick training exercise. Something about proving myself."

When I remained silent, Argalus carried on, growing a bit frazzled. "I'll be back by Kronia, though. I know I tease you, but I have the utmost faith that you'll win, Hyacinthus. You have it in you. I see your skill."

I stared down at my hands, the fish on my plate forgotten. "Alright," I finally murmured, my voice sounding far away. "I'll try not to let you down."

Argalus just looked at me. "You could never let me down."

~*~

I was back in the fields beyond the palace, standing before the target. It blankly stared back at me, and the scattered, off-center holes my arrows had left in the wood seemed to mock me.

Heaving a sigh, I notched an arrow, feeling a bit defeated. How on Gaea was Argalus so good at this cursed sport? He should be the one representing Sparta, not me.

But... That was not so. Argalus would be king when our father passed, and that required round the clock preparation. He would already have his glory, in time. And, as for Cynortus, he already excelled in a multitude of sports. He'd won the footrace at Olympia, and some other athletic event in Isthmia, returning home with two crowns- one of wild olive and another of pine-, his many ribbons, and the ceremonial palm fronds bestowed to each winner at the Olympiad. Yes, Cynortus had claimed his distinction already, Argalus would have his in the coming years, and now the only son left with something to prove was... Me.

Drawing back the bowstring with renewed vigor, I let one eye flicker shut, trying to line up the arrow with the red circle before me. I'd done this before. I'd shot bull's eyes, I knew I was capable of it, even if those perfect shots only graced me once in a blue moon.

A breeze rustled by, equal parts winter and spring, and I closed my eyes, breathing in the scent of burning wood and cool, crisp air. And then, after I had grounded myself, I flicked my eyes back open, ready to let the arrow fly-