Chapter 3

Everyone at the table caught their breath, and Quigley's hand slid into Violet's. After the idea sank in, Isadora, Klaus, and Sunny began clapping and smiling. I sat there glaring at them. Violet had always been like a mother to me, and I didn't want to give her up to anyone else. But I wasn't the only one at the table that was upset. I saw Duncan angrily throw down his napkin and mumble something about going to the bathroom.

               "Did you forget where it is? I could show you again," offered Violet.

               "You've done enough," he growled, and stormed off. Violet glanced around the table, completely clueless about Duncan's anger.

               "Was it something I said?" she asked. I shook my head, and excused myself from the table. I didn't know exactly where Duncan went, but I went in the same direction he had, and soon I heard the sound of soft crying.

               "Duncan? I know Violet is getting married, but that's no reason..." I began. He shoved his hands into his face and groaned, cutting me off.

               "Well, I met her first! I thought she was going to marry me!" he moaned. Then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box.

               "I don't understand..." I said quietly. Then he flicked open the box to reveal a diamond ring.   My eyes grew wide in amazement.

               "You-you were going to ask Violet to marry you?" I asked softly. He nodded and another tear slid down his cheek, which he wiped away angrily. I tried to console him, but he just brushed me off. After, he tried to completely clear his tears away and stormed back into the dining room, with me running after him.

               "Isadora," he said, trying to keep his temper "I think it's time to go." He gave her dagger eyes and drummed his fingers on his leg.

               "But Duncan!" she complained "We were just about to go to the parlor for some games." Duncan rolled his eyes and grabbed Isadora's arm.

               "We will be leaving now," he announced to everyone. Klaus stood up and shook his hand, me and Sunny hugged him and Isadora goodbye, but he completely ignored Violet. After Duncan started walking out the door with a simple "goodbye," Violet ran to stop him. She was too late though, Isadora and Duncan were already gone.

               "What's this?" Violet asked, picking something up off the floor "It fell out of Duncan's pocket." On his way out, Duncan had dropped the ring he was going to give Violet.