petnames

"what about... kitten?" nick laughs, reading off the list of 'petnames' he found online. charlie had said that he didn't like petnames and nick took this as a challenge. "ew, i'm not an animal," charlie crinkles his nose at the suggestion. "honeybun, sweetie pie, sweetcakes," nick reads. "no, no, and absolutely not," charlie says, "why do people call their significant others after food?" "not a clue, honey bee," nick says, completely deadpan. "no, no, no," charlie wags his finger at nick, "i hate bees." "come on, char, there has to be one you like," nick groans, hanging upside off the edge of charlie's bed. charlie smirks, kissing his boyfriend from his spot on the floor. "mary jane," nick says, referencing the spiderman-esque nature of their kiss. "ew, what are we? heterosexuals?" charlie faux gags.

"why don't you like baby?" nick says, a few days later, as the two watch a movie in the family room at nick's. "why won't you let this die, nick?" charlie playfully shoves his boyfriend. "i must find a petname that you like, sorry," nick says, "i'm just annoying like that." "absolutely you are," charlie laughs and nick feigns hurt. "i'm going to the bathroom," nick says and starts to walk towards the stairs up to his bathroom. "i don't like baby because i'm not a toddler," charlie yells after him.

"okay, what about this? puppy," nick makes jazz hands in front of charlie's face. "what do i look like to you? henry?" charlie says, lifting the puppy onto the couch where the two are sitting. "i guess not," nick says, holding henry up, pretending to compare the two. "you've been trying for weeks. when will you give up?" charlie asks, glaring at the taller boy. "never," nick glares back.

"can you help me with my maths homework, num nums?" nick says, smirking at his boyfriend. "okay, you are literally pulling these out of your ass now, aren't you?" charlie says, unamused. "possibly. and what if i am?" nick says, a large smile overtaking his features. charlie soon follows suit, "if you're going to call me horrendous, sappy petnames, at least make them make sense."

"okay, okay. i've got it this time. for real," nick says, holding charlie's face in his hands. charlie rolls his eyes, "what is it this time?" "honey bunches," nick's tone is completely serious. "like... like the american cereal brand? nick, what the fuck?" charlie laughs, "you've been watching too much american television." "i guess i have," nick says, smiling at his boyfriend.

"you have to let this die! it's been weeks," charlie says, next time nick brings up the subject. "you've challenged me! what did you expect?" nick says with a mischievous smile playing on his lips. "it was not a challenge, you just took it as a challenge," charlie points out. "fair enough," nick shrugs. "what are you lot talking about?" tao says as he joins the two at their lunch table. "he is still trying to find a pet name that i won't hate," charlie says and tao laughs. "have you tried cinnamon roll?" tao says, quirking an eyebrow at nick before taking a drink of his apple juice. "what do you say, cinnamon roll?" nick can't keep a straight face this time. "i say absolutely not," charlie's laughter joins nick's, "and what is with you people and food names?"

"i've got another one!" nick exclaims while the
credits play on the disney princess movie they had just finished with olly. "oh my god, nick-" charle begins, rolling his eyes. "my prince," nick interrupts, bowing to charlie. charlie feels his face heating up. nick looks up to see a faint blush blooming on charlie's cheeks. "you like that one!" nick all but screams, jumping up and down excitedly, "you like that one you like that one you like tha-" "shut up," charlie says gruffly, hiding his small smile behind his hoodie sleeve. "as you wish," nick bows again, removing charlie's hand from in front of his face. he places a kiss on his boyfriend's hand before smirking, "my prince."

<3