Chapter 8: Are You With Us? ~ pt. 2

Alarms were sounding all over the village now. Two soldiers emerged from the house with the body of another mercenary slung between them. Lenna appeared behind them, her infant son in her arms, and stood in the doorway watching as they carried the dead man to the stable and dropped him on the ground to bring the wagon out into the drive. Another soldier came behind Lenna and startled her as he softly nudged her to allow the rest to make their egress.

Most of the soldiers began to disperse in groups toward the various clamoring bells, leaving a few behind to help Kelvaran haul the now bound mercenaries and their deceased comrade into the wagon. Lenna dazedly wandered across the drive to where Kazia and Amelys stood together. An angry purple bruise was spreading on her cheek and Kazia sucked in a breath as she tried to gently examine it. The baby laughed at Kazia and made a mis-aimed grab for her hand.

"There was a dead man in my house," Lenna said absently. "He hit me."

"It's all over now," Kazia said.

"No," Lenna said, looking after the soldiers clearly running toward more danger.

"It is over here, and you are safe," Kazia assured her. "Look, your baby is safe, and the rest will be safe soon enough."

"Where is Neiphi?" Lenna demanded, her bewilderment broken now and a panic rising in her voice.

"Nearby, and safely protected, I promise. Look, here she is now."

A clattering of hooves brought the carriage down the drive then, with Ardel riding alongside on a visibly spent horse. He dismounted at once and ran to Lenna, tenderly embracing his wife and son.

"The dead man hit me, Ardel," Lenna was saying. "He wasn't dead yet, though. No one has ever hit me before!"

As Neiphi jumped down from the carriage and ran to her family, Kazia and Amelys withdrew a distance to give them the moment. Soldiers drove the wagon away, leaving a guard of four taking up positions in front and back of the house. Kelvaran went to the carriage to hand Brandra down, as the driver was tending to Ardel's horse.

"Let's go inside," Ardel suggested to everyone present. "We have much to discuss." But Lenna hesitated, fear contorting her face as she looked up at the house, her eyes filling with tears and her demeanor becoming unfocused again.

"I can't," she said.

"Mrs. Gewalt," Kelvaran said then. "You are the mistress of this house, yes?" His voice was stern, but Kazia was surprised to detect an unexpectedly warm compassion in his aura.

"I am," Lenna said sheepishly.

"These men tried to take it from you today, but they have failed," Kelvaran continued. "This house has been won again fairly through a trial of arms. Do you understand?"

As he spoke, Lenna seemed to stand a bit taller, her shoulders slowly squaring, her chin rising.

"I understand," she said, her voice strong.

"Go now and claim what is yours," Kelvaran said, pointing to the front door.

"Right," Lenna answered firmly, turning on her heel and striding toward the door. "Neiphi!" she called over her shoulder.

Ardel smiled and Neiphi took his hand to pull him along. Kazia stared in wonderment at Kelvaran, looking quickly away when he turned to wave the rest of the company on, also signaling the driver of the carriage to come inside for his safety.

"That won't be the end of it for her, but it's a good start," Amelys said. "That was well done, Kel."

The first order of business was to find the house maid. She and Lenna had been alone in the house when the mercenaries entered through a back door and found them in the kitchen. The maid had fled, and they found her now hiding in a pantry.