3 am texting

Mattholomule layed in bed. He glanced at the clock on his nightstand. 3:05. The yelling still hadn't stopped. He was getting a headache.

Matt picked up his scroll. If he was going to be awake, might as well be productive. And brag about it to Gus.

Mattholomule: Guess who's staying up to do class work

Gus: Who?

Mattholomule: me, who else?

Mattholomule: and why are you up it's like, 3 am

Gus: technically it's 3:05

Mattholomule: shut up

Gus: why are you up?

Mattholomule: my parents are being loud as hell

Mattholomule: they seriously can't scream at each other while I'm at school?

Gus: ugh that sounds awful

Mattholomule: don't pity me

Mattholomule: I'm used to it anyway

Gus: it's silent over here

Mattholomule: lame

Gus: YOU'RE LAME

Mattholomule: lmao

The text bubble pops up, loading before disappearing. It pops up again, waiting only a second before disappearing. Finally the message is sent through.

Gus: wanna come over?

What?

Mattholomule: why?

Gus: idk

Gus: you said it was loud

Mattholomule: sure

Mattholomule: be right over

— —
(TW: FLASHBACK OF DEATH)

be right over.

be right over.

The words replayed in Gus's mind. He shivered under his comforter, the blanket wrapped tightly around his shoulders. Somehow he always got nightmares when no one was around. When his dad was on the night shift.

be right over.

He just had to keep all the bad things out of his mind. Her cold hands, the sudden flatline, getting pushed out of the room, doctors shouting at each other, the silent car ride home-

be right over.

   — —

Mattholomule: I'm here, bitch

Mattholomule: let me in.

The door unlocked, swinging open.

The first thing Matt saw were Gus' eyes. They were puffy and bloodshot. He was on edge, his shoulders tense underneath the blanket that was wrapped around him.

"Hey," Gus smiled, stepping out of the doorway.

"You look like shit," Matt replied, walking into the house. "Oh, yeah. Can't really sleep," Gus closed the door, leading the boy to his bedroom.

They both sat down on Gus's bed. Matt flopped onto his back, closing his eyes.

"It's so quiet," He mumbled.

"Yeah," Gus replied blandly.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, it was almost as if the awkwardness was a person sitting right next to them.

"You good? You're a lot less... Gus," Matt broke the silence.

"What?" Gus looked over to where Matt was laying, "Oh, yeah. Just out of it."

Matt nodded, sitting back up.

"You can go to sleep if you want," Gus let the comforter slide off his shoulders and placed it on the twin sized bed.

"Oh, thanks," Matt took the comforter, sliding under it and pulling it to his shoulders. Gus laid down next to him in the bed.

"Sorry if it's a bit small..." Gus glanced over to the boy, whose face was smushed into the pillow. Matt's breath came in gentle puffs, his hair softly falling into his eyes.

Gus smiled, "Night."

Matt quietly mumbled in return.

——

Word count: 504 words :D

Alr folks first chapter wooooo

this one was pretty short, I was sure to add fluff since there is a lot of texting at the beginning.
There will be more, just you wait

but yeah

(extra space so you don't accidentally scroll to an ad)