09 - he's (not) straight

Monday, September 12th

The slight rumble of the car is the only noise that fills the silence. I glance over at Hazel, who's staring out the window with her head resting on her hand. I tap the steering wheel awkwardly, trying to cut the tension.

She lifts her head up and puts her hand down in her lap. I look out my window, trying to avoid conversation with her.

"Are you straight?" she bluntly asks.

"What?" I turn my head sharply to look at her.

She repeats the question again, and I blink a few times.

"No, I'm not-"

She cuts me off. "You're attracted to Gray, aren't you?" Her eyes don't pierce into mine as harshly as her brother's.

Do I make it that obvious?

"Listen mate, we only met not too long ago. I'm not interested-" I pause, debating my answer and she lifts an eyebrow.

I shouldn't lie. How do I tell her I've had an obsession with her brother for almost five years?

"Enough about this." I turn back to face the window.

"Whether you're attracted to him or not, I still don't like you." She flicks her brown hair back before crossing her arms and looking out her window.

"Do you like anyone?" I snap back.

She doesn't face me. "I like people who aren't men."

"Finn and I just spotted Tenor heading towards the area Grayson and Harlow are at; he's on foot. He has a bag on him, so he's most likely going to do his deal near you. Watch out," Sage says through our earpieces, cutting through the dense atmosphere.

Harlow responds almost immediately after. "Got it."

There's a long pause before Grayson says something, and his attractive voice fills my ears.

"Harlow and I are following him now." He quickly notes.

Hazel shifts in her seat. "Be careful, okay?" she says, clearly worried.

"We lost sight of him, we're heading back to the car to-" Before the cut off, we hear a gun cocking in the background.

My hand shoots up to my ear. "Grayson?"

Nothing.

My panic rises. "Grayson?!" There's still no response.

I look to Hazel, who's looking at me already. I start the car quickly, grasping the wheel tightly.

"Finn, get me Harlow and Grayson's location. Now."

I put the car into drive and speed off towards the general area of where they were first located. My phone screen lights up in the cup holder, and Grayson's location is pinged on the map. I step on the acceleration, going well over the speed limit.