Chapter 5

P.O.V

Sam

"Hey Sammy call me once you get this. I hope you had a good first day sweety! Love you bye."

I listened to my voice mail from my Aunt then called her back to let her know how school went. I told her about Chloe and how she invited me to her house tonight. She was happy I had already made a friend and told me to have fun. After I got off the phone I waited for Chloe to meet me in the concourse.

School had just gotten out. The plan for tonight was that I'd just spend the night at Chloe's and we'd ride together in the morning. It turned out that I just lived a block away from her.

After finding Chloe we headed for my house so I could pack an overnight bag. The plan was to just take my car since she didn't have a one.

"So are you sure it's okay with your parents that I stay the night?" I asked just to double check.

"Yeppers girly. My momma said it's fine as long as we get to bed at a decent time." She said rolling her eyes.

We pulled up to my house and made our way from the Blueberry to the front porch. April's house was a simple two story town house. What separated it from the other houses on our block was that it was bright pink. My Aunt was obsessed with pink.

Walking in the front door I heard Chloe let out a gasp of surprise. I let out a laugh as I watched her look around the room. Our front room was decorated in pink. Everything was pink from the carpet to the walls.

"This is beautiful! I love pink!" Chloe was jumping up and down again.

"Geez Louise Chloe how much coffee do you drink a day? You have to be the most hyper person I've ever met."

She let out a laugh that was followed by a snort, "Oh I don't drink coffee. My mom won't even let me have soda."

"Your mom's a wise woman." I said shaking my head at her in amusement.

I had her wait in the living area while I went up to my room to grab some clothes. My room was the only room in the house that was void of pink. It was plain just the way I liked it. Grabbing some clothes I headed back down stairs and then Chloe and I were on our way to her house.

Arriving at Chloe's I parked my car in her drive way. We got out and I followed Chloe into her house feeling excited. This would be my first sleep over ever.

I still couldn't believe how everything had went today. I was glad Dr. May suggested public school, and my Aunt didn't listen to me when I said I didn't want to go. I was proud of myself. I felt like I had made progress just by attending school. My anxiety was high all day but I was able to deal with it. Not only did I make it through a whole day, but I also was touched and I didn't freak out too much. I felt stronger and it had only been a day.

Walking through the front door we were met by an older lady who was the same height as Chloe, about 5 ft 6in, and had the same red hair but hers was long.

"Hey you must be Sam. I'm Wendy, Chloe's mom. Its nice to meet you dear." She stuck out her hand and I just kind of stared at it for a second.

Deciding that now was probably a good time to bring up my touching issue I said apologetically, "Sorry Wendy I hadn't had a chance to explain it to Chloe yet but I have what's called Haphephobia, basically it means I have a fear of being touched." Taking a breath I finished by saying, "That's why I've been home schooled."

I glanced over at Chloe who had a look of shock and wonder on her face, before turning back to face her mom who was looking at me with confusion.

The thing about phobias was most people who didn't suffer from one couldn't understand how serious they could be. Especially if you didn't get help right away. Which I didn't. My Aunt had taken me to a therapist when I had my first anxiety attack after being hugged at my parents funeral. But I had rejected any kind of therapy. The doctors said it was because I was so young and suggested I wait till I get a little older. Well I didn't end up finally agreeing to go back to a shrink till last year. That's when I found doctor May, who I swear was a God sent.