SaTCaR- 1

(One month ago in Abby’s pov)

“Thanks,” I mumbled hoarsely as I hopped off the bus dragging my oversized suitcase at my tail. The bus ride to Mystic Falls from Boston was eight hours give or take and I was just happy to be on solid ground again. My headphones were tucked firmly in my ears, my sunglasses shielded my eyes from the sun, and I waltzed into town. I easily navigated myself around the twisting streets as I had walked them almost a million times. The spring air was cool on my fingertips causing my small body to shiver. Then out of nowhere a raindrop fell straight on my head bouncing off before hitting the ground with a crisp sound.

I reached behind my head to pull up my hood but my hand found nothing but air. I swore at myself silently realizing that I was wearing my jacket that didn’t have one. The rain came down faster and harder to the point where I assumed that I was already soaking wet. I grabbed my suitcase which I had set on the ground and ran as fast as I could into the first shelter I could find.

I stumbled into the Mystic Grill dragging my luggage behind me happy to have a roof over my head. Settling down next to a boy who seemed about my age at the bar I pulled out my phone to see if Elena had tried to reach me. She promised she would pick me up at five o’clock but it was only four and I didn’t want to be stranded in a bar alone. I slipped off my jacket before ordering a beer from the bartender who looked half asleep. I couldn’t blame him really, I was tired myself.

“Looks like you got caught in the storm,” The man next to me noted my wet hair that probably looked like a frizzy mess. He had a smooth accent that was probably British but I couldn’t tell. The only times I really heard people from other countries talk was in Harry Potter or occasionally a Colin Firth movie.

“It’s pretty nasty out there,” I nodded with a small smile as I turned to look out at one of the windows. The rain hadn’t stopped and it looked worse than it had been when I entered the small tavern. The bar tender placed the beer bottle on the bar and I smiled before thanking him calmly.

“I haven’t seen a storm like that in a very long time,” I could tell he was watching me and I turned towards him curiously. He was very good looking but there was something about him that made my skin itch. I nodded taking a sip of my drink and he smirked. “What have you decided?”

I raised my eyebrow confused, “About what?” There were no decisions for me to make, at least none that I could think of.

“What you think of me,” The brown haired boy flicked a smile in my direction and I narrowed my eyes. It was as if he read my mind. “It’s okay love, you don’t need to tell me how wonderful I am.” He smirked and I let out a small laugh.

“Let me guess, you’re one of those guys who thinks that he’s god’s gift to the world and has an ego the size of the Mall of America?” I asked him quietly, leaning in as I normally did when someone challenged me. I couldn’t stand when people thought that they were better than me.

“You’re a feisty one, aren’t you?” He shot back moving his face closer before backing away and taking a sip of his drink.

“Only when I have to be,” I told him checking my phone to see what time it was. I let out a quiet sigh as it was only 4:30 and Elena wouldn’t be back yet to get me.

“Waiting for a call?” He asked eyeing my phone and I placed it on the counter before taking another sip of my beer. The bar was mostly empty and I couldn’t help but wonder how long the boy had been there. He didn’t seem extremely drunk but he had to have been here long enough so that he wasn’t caught in the rain.

“My cousin’s supposed to be picking me up,” I told him gesturing to my suitcase. “I’m just getting here from Boston.”

“Well, Ms. Boston, do you have a name?” He asked with a smirk and I smiled. I was about to make a snarky comment but I stopped myself.

“I’m Abigail,” I told him running my hand through my hair. He looked me up and down before smiling back at me.

“It’s a pleasure, I’m Kol,” He told me and I regarded him carefully. There was something off about him. Something I couldn’t quite put my finger on but I knew that there was something. I heard my phone beep twice and I read over the message silently. Elena was waiting on the corner. I placed a tip for the bartender on the table and glanced at the boy beside me.

“We’ll see, Kol.” I winked at him before grabbing my luggage and heading out the door. And with that, I walked out of the bar to meet my cousin thinking that I would never see the boy again. Oh how I was wrong.