Chapter 11

Lena and Kara get settled in her penthouse. Lena knows that both of them could likely use another drink... or two. The ravenette carries a couple glasses and an ice bucket over to the living room. She opens her liquor cabinet and looks over her shoulder. "What would you like, darling?"

The blonde just stares dumbfounded at the impressive stash of alcohol. Lena had a couple bottles out on display, but no one would have known the amount in this hidden cabinet.

"Darling?"

"Uh, I- I'm not sure. How about whatever you made me at that bar?"

Lena smiles at her before turning her attention back to the bottles of alcohol. She quickly pulls the bottles she needs and grabs the cocktail shaker. She kneels down by the coffee table as she makes quick work throwing ice cubes and the appropriate amount of liquor in the shaker. She can feel Kara's eyes following her every movement. She makes a show of shaking it before pouring it dramatically in a glass. She holds out the glass for Kara to take.

"Sorry, I don't have any oranges so I couldn't garnish like normal."

Kara eagerly grabs the drink and takes a tentative sip. She lets out a pleased little hum. "Delicious. But now that I've seen how you make it, you know your recipe isn't a closely guarded secret anymore, right?"

Lena chuckles lightly. "Well, I suppose I should ask you to guard it with your life then. Although, I can guarantee you that even if you try to copy it, it won't taste the same if you make it for yourself."

"Why is that?"

"Hmm. Well, let's say you get a recipe from a Michelin star chef and follow the recipe exactly. If you cook it for yourself, do you think it would taste the same?"

"I see your point," Kara says softly before taking another sip with a hum.

Lena stands up and heads back to the cabinet to grab something for herself. Instead, she opts for a single malt whiskey. After she pours a couple fingers for herself, she settles on the chair.

"I- I didn't mean to make you go through all that work. You could've-"

Lena is quick to cut Kara off. "It's alright, Kara. It's not that much work, and I enjoy making drinks anyways." Kara opens her mouth to protest more, but Lena holds up a solitary finger to quiet her. "Darling, I promise. I'm happy to make you drinks whenever you like."

Kara lets out a huff. "Fine, but you aren't playing bartender on Friday. Promise me? I don't want you to be stuck waiting on everyone."

Lena gives her some serious side eye for trying to make demands about what she is allowed to do in her own home, especially since she is also the hostess. There is a long heavy moment of silence. She looks at the puppy dog pout and can't stand it any longer. "Alright, fine. I won't make drinks for people. But I will make drinks for you, Sam, and myself."

Kara notes the sense of finality in Lena's tone. She decides not to push it any further before whispering, "Thank you."

Lena crosses her legs and leans back in the chair. "We should probably talk about Friday just a little bit. Plan for it. Only if you are up to it, of course."

Kara puts the glass down and leans forward with her elbows on her knees. She lets out a heavy sigh with her head down. "I- I'm so sorry, Lee."

"Hey, hey," Lena hears Kara's voice break in those few words. She is quick to put down her own glass and move to the couch. She wraps the blonde up in a side hug. "We already did our apologies. No more. it's okay, darling. Everything will be alright."

Kara breaks down into giant, heaving sobs. She has been repressing a breakdown ever since Alex came into town, trying to focus on repairing the damage done to the doctor. Lena just holds onto her tightly and lets the woman collapse her weight into her body. She scratches Kara's scalp while her other rubs up and down that heaving back. She just lets the woman cry and cry and cry. She doesn't say anything. She simply rests her cheek against Kara's head and holds her.