Chapter Ten - A Turn for the Worst

(I thought I'd try writing in first person as you guys suggested so let me know what you think. Enjoy!)

Melody's POV:

****

"Leo, do you have to go?" I complain for the gazillionth time within the past twenty minutes. To be honest with you, I don't know what goes through this man's head sometimes. Genuinely, I do occasionally wonder if he is chronically insane... I mean, he has to understand by now that I should not be simply abandoned for work of all things. I mean, who am I going to force into painting my nails for me, and who is going to help me reach the top cabinet so I can fill up on chocolate and not eat my dinner... oh my god... who's going to cook for me? What an utter disaster. That's it, he must be chronically insane. He's leaving me to die. I'm going to burn down the kitchen and die.

"Baby, it's only two weeks. I'll be back before you know it." He tried to reassure me - key word is tried. Contrasting to his beliefs I'm not stupid. I know the symptoms of a heart attack: chest pain, anxiety, shortness of breath... I mean I can demonstrate them all for you right now. Never mind, I'm being dramatic - I'm not going to die in a house fire, I'm going to die from a heart attack. Yep. Leonardo better be sorry because any second now he's going to watch me collapse on the floor and die. Any second now...

"Look, sweetheart, you can contact me anytime you want and you'll have Kai to keep you company too. I'm only a phone call away, okay?" Truthfully, the idea of being able to call him whenever lessened my nerves slightly. Oh, but what a stupid mistake he has made, now he has given me permission to contact him whenever I want. I'll just call him and never hang up. What an idiot.

"Fine." I agree, begrudgingly. "You promise this trip isn't putting you in any danger?" I asked, needing the reassurance even though he has answered numerous times before. I rolled my eyes in annoyance as he merely chuckled at my repetitive question. "I'm serious Leo. Promise me you'll come back to me unharmed." I raised my eyebrows in challenge and he must have noticed the sincere concern undoubtedly plastered across my face as his features notably soften.

The butterflies I am all so familiar with dance in my stomach as my Leo pulls me impossibly close to him by the waist and cups my cheek as his thumb rubs soothingly over my skin. Gently, he touches me as if I could break. To be honest with you, in this moment I might. "Melody, I promise you, I'll be okay. As long as I know that you are in my home and safe I will be fine."

Like the absolute wuss I am, I feel my eyes pool with salty tears at his words and I can only nod sullenly. "I love you, okay? Be safe and don't forget to have fun," I advise him, fighting the sobs rising up in my throat at his nearing departure.

"I love you more, baby. I'll see you in two weeks." I felt his soft lips brush over mine in a tingly kiss before he pecked my nose then both my eyelids then all across the crown of my head. Naturally. I giggle at his playfulness and move to mould my lips with his one last time. "You're going to be a good girl for me whilst I'm gone, aren't you? You're not going to do anything stupid, yes?"

I rolled my eyes at his patronising tone - like I could do anything stupid, I'm too cool for that. He glared at my lack of reply and I recoiled ever so slightly. Okay Mr Piss Your Pants Scary.
"Yes, yes whatever you say," I tease.

"Melody..." he warned, dangerously.
Oh, there's the fanny flutters. "I am not joking. If I find out you've done otherwise then I can promise you now, you won't like the consequences." Okay, but are we sure I won't like them though?