Chapter 4

...So it did kinda bother me how we seemingly didn't have parents.

I didn't really notice it in the beginning, far too busy with getting used to everything and establishing my new schedule, but now that those are more or less out of the way, the lack of parents has become very...noticeable.

Which is like, concerning ya know? Like, obviously the idea of having no parents sounded like a dream to kids but from the perspective of someone who's a whole semi-adult? It's not good. The reality of the situation was also sucky. I'm like the equivalent of an eleven year old and I'm working jobs to pay bills so me and my baby brother don't get evicted.

Seriously where the fuck were the Child Protective Services around here??

"BROTHER WHAT IN ASGORE'S NAME ARE YOU DOING TO THE SPAGHETTI?!"

I blink with a jolt, my head snapping over to look at an aghast Papyrus before my eyes slowly trailed down to the shattered spaghetti noodles in my hands. I shifted on the step-stool I was standing on, it was a nice step-stool really, a few scratches and slightly discolored in some places but that was just because the stool was well loved. You could still tell it was pastel blue color so its slight imperfections didn't matter much in the end.

"BROTHER!"

Oh right.

"Oh this? It's fine, Paps. This is just a new recipe I've been wanting to try."

Papyrus studied me with an expression of disbelief, like he didn't quite believe me, which rude. The skeleton stepped closer as he peeked over the counter as if searching for a recipe book, quirking an eyebrow ridge at me when he didn't find one.

I stared back. "I'm freehanding it."

"...OF COURSE YOU ARE."

I smile and dump the spaghetti bits into the boiling pot while Papyrus watched with a conflicted expression.

When the spaghetti (does it really deserve to still be called that??) was done, Papyrus helped me set up our little table for dinner. As I set the plates down I looked over at him, deciding I should probably make some small talk with him.

"So how's school going?" Nailed it.

Papyrus paused mid-bite, staring at me for a moment before hesitantly answering. "UHH- IT HAS BEEN GOING WELL, BROTHER. VERY WELL, SO WELL EVEN. I EARNED A GOLD STAR TODAY FOR GETTING MY ASSIGNMENT DONE CORRECTLY." He said, his chest puffing out in pride as he grinned before chomping down on his forkful of spaghetti.

I felt something like pride as well, my mouth subconsciously matching Papyrus' grin. "That's great, Paps! Real proud of you." I say, taking a bit from my dinner before continuing. "So, have you made any friends yet?"

He shifted awkwardly at my question. "OF COURSE, BROTHER! I'VE PLENTY OF FRIENDS, EVERYONE IN MY CLASS IS A FRIEND OF MINE."

I blinked slowly at him, my ankle subconsciously rubbing against my other one as I gazed at Papyrus, an uncomfortable feeling making itself known as it squirmed inside me. I recall a small little thing about canon Papyrus.

Oh boy.

When Papyrus seemingly began to sweat did I realize that I was staring for too long. I blinked harder this time before giving Papyrus a smile. "That's a lot of friends, Paps! I'm glad you're making some buddies." I reply and watch as my brother relaxes into his seat.

"YES...YES IT IS."

I wanted to say something else, something that actually addressed the problem, but- I-....wasn't sure how to. I didn't know how to proceed with this issue.

Or well- I...didn't know how to deal with this in a way that actually helped. I didn't know what to say that would make Papyrus happy.

I didn't know if I wanted too. Some small part, some small petty part didn't want too.

...

We ate the rest of dinner in more or less silence.