Chapter 1 (incompleet)

The young kit blinked her eyes open for the first time. The bright leaf-bare light shined through the nursery opening. She felt cold. A blurry shape came into view. "I'm your mother." The she-cat snapped after the kit staring at her. "Your name is Aspenkit. Get up. Go play with Shimmerkit and leave." She snarled. Aspenkit nodded quickly. Was everyone this mean?

She went outside into the thick blizzard. It was freezing. Yet her mother told her to stay outside. She wobbled a little. Aspenkit looked into a frozen puddle. There she saw her legs. There were only three. She was shocked. Mama had four legs!

"Oh, hey look!" Shimmerkit smirked. "It's Threelegs!" Redkit and Featherkit laughed. Turtlekit murmured timidly, "Hi." "Get outta here, Turtledung! Go play with filthy ol' Threelegs!" Shimmerkit teased rudely. Turtlekit sighed softly, his fiery orange pelt gleaming in the sun. He walked toward the nursery.

Aspenkit stared toward Shimmerkit. H-how is she m-my sister? Aspenkit thought. It started hailing. Shimmekit, Redkit, and Featherkit went back into the nursery. Aspenkit started back as well. Her mother stopped her. "Stay outside." She hissed. "Mama...what's your name?" Aspenkit meowed. Her mother rolled her bright amber eyes. "I'm Clawtail. Now stay outside!" She growled.

Aspenkit nodded at once. Suddenly, Turtlekit came out of the den wailing. "Mama!" He screamed. His eyes were shut, and he screeched again, "Mama! Why is it dark? Mama!" Leafbird ran outside. "What did you do with my kit?" Leafbird snarled menacingly at Aspenkit. Aspenkit screamed as Leafbird towered over her. Her mother Clawtail came out. Aspenkit breathed a sigh of relief.

But the worst was yet to come. Clawtail hissed at her kit, shaking her by the scruff. "Clawtail!" screeched Goldenspots, an elder. "Stop that!" Clawtail roughly dropped her kit, and scowled, "She named you. She's my mother. She hates me...for hating you. But...you are the misfortune of ThunderClan." "Leave Aspenkit alone!" Goldenspots glared at Clawtail. "You have been abusing your own kit! If I were Goldenstar of ThunderClan, I would send you out to live by yourself!"

Smokefire, the deputy and Clawtail's mate, leaped at the elder. Goldenspots cried out. Longears, who was in the elders den, attacked Smokefire. "You should be punished." Longears hissed in Smokefire's ear.

(INCOMPLETE)