Journal Entry 11

May 5, 1348

Dear Buttons, 

        I can hear mother in her room mourning. Margret just died, her and mother knew each other since they were just a year old.

They drank tea most sunday morning before heading out to the church. It's very sad to think that I will never see her again.

She used to always give me candy from her purse. Many of the families that have someone in their household with the plague are locked in the house and forbidden to even step foot outside.

So eventually the whole family dies off, one by one... 

The death collector makes his evening rounds, "BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!" His voice is course and cold, it scares me. The people are dragged, sometimes by their legs, and thrown into the cart filled with many others of the same faith.

My family and I stay healthy, we rarely go outside except to buy food. Everyone in my home has grown gaunt and pale.

I look in the mirror at my face and how it has sinked in because of the lack of food. It has completely lost its roundness. My brown hair has gotten shorter, probably because of how depressed I am.

I am glad though, that I am atleast alive and comfortable in my home. My bed is soft and my family is unharmed. Papa helps me see the good in life even in these times of distress...because the peasants dont have it this good.