George's story

George never really had friends. It's the one thing he could never get right. He didn't understand why people didn't like him. When the servant was younger, the only friend he'd had was his twin sister.

George was a wild child, he'd play pranks, disregard noble men's titles, crack jokes; that all changed, however, when he came home beaten and bruised. One of the noble's children had 'taught him a lesson'. His sister begged of him to be more careful, that was the night of their parents disappearance. The next day he was more reserved; his joking stopped, the pranks became nothing but memories and he was far more obedient when the nobles passed through. He reinvented himself so that his sister wouldn't worry.

The nobles had won.

They weren't there long as druids took them in, welcoming the homeless children with open arms. That was until the men in blood red capes arrived, tearing through the camp, killing everyone on sight. George was the only one left, however, his sister's body wasn't among the dead so he still held hope. For years he searched and came up with nothing. Eventually he ended up as a servant for the very kingdom that ruined his life. George held no grudges for Arthur was a good king, he was nothing like his father.

George had taken a liking to Merlin; he reminded George of his younger self, so full of life and so uncaring of what anyone thought of him. George knew Merlin did not think the same of him, but that was okay, he was used to it. He was relieved to find out that Merlin's attitude was accepted here, knowing the boy was safe under Arthur's reign. Still, George kept true to the promise he made his sister. He would be on his best behaviour.

The king had requested that he train Merlin for the week, he had a sneaking suspicion that it was supposed to be a punishment but George took it in stride. It meant that he was doing something right, it also meant that he would be able to talk to someone for once. George didn't show it but he was ecstatic.

Merlin wasn't sure what to make of the servant, Arthur had said he was full but Merlin recognised the look in the boy's eyes. He was repressing his feelings from the outside world, similar to Merlin except George didn't act outgoing and happy all the time, he was reserved but proper, this unnerved Merlin slightly. He couldn't be sure whether the serving boy was to be a traitor or just lonely. Maybe that's what possessed him into talking to the man.

George was giving Merlin a speech about the proper way to polish armour when he was cut off by Merlin himself, "Why are you here?" He'd asked, George cocked his head and gave him a quizzical look, "In Camelot, I mean. Where are you from?" Merlin laughed, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"Oh uh-" George wasn't expecting any questions, "I lived in a small village in Nemeth called Menidor."

"What was it like there?" Merlin wasn't sure what was making him ask, his duty or the man's sadness when he told him.

George was pleasantly surprised to be asked and so he complied, "It wasn't anything special, but my family were there once and that made it a much nicer place." He smiled sadly.

"What happened?" Merlin asked, his voice gentle yet curious.

"I didn't have any friends other than my twin sister, Freya. The knights and nobles would ride through often, their children would make fun of me. Believe it or not I used to be quite like you, I never called them by there titles and I'd always play pranks on them. They didn't much like it and decided they'd teach me a lesson." George shook his head lightly, "They beat me up. Freya told me to stay out of trouble."

"I knew a girl called Freya once, I loved her." Merlin smiled sadly, "You're the only friend I've told about that, promise not to tell anyone?"

"I promise." George felt his chest swell up with joy, he'd just made a friend.