Chapter 2: My Birthday

"Martha! Time for Breakfast!" yells my Mom. I groan. But wait, it's my birthday! I'm finally 12! "Coming Mother!" I yell back. It's September 14, 1567, which meant I was 12!

I had been waiting for this day ever since I learned about the archery tournament! Every time a girl turns 12 in The Mellowbrook kingdom, they get to compete in a certain event. And the plans for this year were for all the girls to do archery!

There was only one problem. One girl would have to venture to the Wizard's Castle. The girl would be the person who lost the contest. If they didn't then they would be banned from the kingdom for not following tradition. We had a wicked king named King Charles the fourth. He always wondered what treasures lay at the heart of the castle, but didn't dare go. So, he left the dirty work for us! The good thing is, there are 57 girls turning 12 in the kingdom this year ( it's a really big kingdom ) so there's no chance they'll pick me.

I ate my birthday eggs as fast as a 12 year old could. "You need to get ready for the competition! It starts soon!" Gasped my Mother. She was right. I did need to get ready.

I went into my room and changed my clothes. I wore leather boots and my green birthday dress I got from my Aunt Delilah.

I then grabbed my bow and arrows and ran out the door to the tournament.