CHAPTER 19 : CONOR

Ross tries to inquire me about the siren and how I'm so sound about the whole matter. I am fed up with his interrogating attitude. "I told you, Ross, over here at Pack Fulmine, we've had various dealings with sirens. In fact, one even goes to the Pack School." Ross whips his gaze towards me. I don't know why but I feel like I shouldn't have said that.

I keep my lip-line in a neutral, not showing off any excess emotions. Now, if he was going to ask me any further details about the siren, well, my response put him off. This is good because Smiles was adamant about remaining incognito. She doesn't was anyone ruining her 'expeditions'.

Expeditions aren't allowed in Arestare, and expeditions outside Arestare are out of question. I'm not helping those three with something illegal. In fact, I'm just assisting Smiles. I hate the rest of them. I mean, Melissa's just fine, too; it's Janice that gets my goat.

Well, why wouldn't I? Help Smiles, I mean. She's my bestest friend. I bet she'd help me if I were in a situation like this. In fact, she did, whenever I needed her. And I bet, she'd tolerate a hundred Janices for me, too, if it ever came to that.

It's weird but Smiles and I weren't always the best of friends. Sure, we met on our first day in kindergarten and we kinda hung out - like all other toddlers hung out - since our parents arranged a play-date for us. What she didn't know was that I knew her before that. I knew her scent - had it memorized in my senses. It's crazy, but I did. In some sort of past-life, I know we belonged near, shielding each other from harm's way.

Being a few years younger than me - almost three - I felt so protective of her. Instinctively, I took the role of an older brother which was weird since she hated me. However, I took no notice of that. I was too busy dog-trailing her. This is exactly what pissed her off. It was adorable, really.

She was - is - my only little sister and I'm the only big brother she has. She has an older sister but-

I breakaway from my nostalgic thoughts. I look at Ross - Alpha of the Zeus Ceneus Pack - or as Smiles likes to refer to him, Perro - Spanish for dog.

Well, Perro, I mean, Ross makes a wierd face. He knits his eyebrows in concentration. "Why're you smirking, man?" He asks me, a bit annoyed. "Uh, nothing. Nothing." I don't know why I said nothing twice but at that moment, it felt that the whole echoing thing might add some sort of a sober effect. Apparently, not.

He looks at me with the same weird face. From my position, he looks like a lost puppy. No wonder Smiles calls him Perro. Estúpido perro! I divert my gaze and look at my watch. It is getting awfully late - two hours just sifted away in an unperceivable flash. I wonder why he isn't leaving.

Ross looks to his right and, then, left side, and says, "Okay, then, I - ah - better go. Sorry about the whole siren-issue. It was just a misunderstanding." I wish he would just leave already so I could move on with my life. I feel like yelling this at him but I don't. Instead, I lock it in and say, "No problem, man. S'cool!"

I take absolutely zero time to turn my head in the opposite, sideways, as he does the same. He walks- the pace of his footsteps showing a bit of reluctance - towards no-man's-land.

I see him as his silhouette turns to a miniscule prototype. Before he treads on his territory, he looks back one last time, worry evident in his eyes. His face doesn't give much but his eyes say it all: the earlier mystic grey has dulled to a death-like shade.

"She'll be just fine, trust me." I mouth the words to him. Even though it's not much of a reassurance - seeing as he doesn't know anything about Smiles' connection with me - it still brings him to a bit of ease.

I thank the Heavens : he's finally gone now. But for only now. Chace, my wolf remarks, sending a chill down my spine. What do you mean, Chace? I ask him. He doesn't answer.

I initiate my return into the depth of pack-territory with a few groggy steps. Chace speaks up, not to give me an answer but a verbal puzzle in return. Only time will tell...