QUIDDITCH

HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
CHAPTER 11

-

"I think that we don't have enough evidence to prove whether he is guilty or innocent."

-

{ CHAPTER 10 }

FIFTEEN BROOMS

-

AS THEY ENTER NOVEMBER, the weather turns very cold. The mountains around the school have become icy grey and the lake is like chilled steel. Every morning the ground is covered in frost.

Hagrid can be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch pitch, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit-fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots.

The Quidditch season has begun. On Saturday, Harry will be playing in his first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. If Gryffindor wins, they will move up into second place in the House Championship. If not, then Slytherin will take that place.

Lily isn't conflicted about who to cheer for. Her house may be 'like her family', but Harry is her actual family.

Hardly anyone has seen Harry play because Oliver decided that, as their secret weapon, Harry should be kept, well, secret. But the news that he's playing Seeker leaked out once again (worse this time), and Lily doesn't know which is worse - people telling him he'll be brilliant or people telling him they'll be running around underneath him holding a mattress.

Hermione has also lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which he says has turned out to be a very interesting read.

Lily has learned from Harry that Seekers are usually the smallest and fastest players, and that most serious Quidditch accidents seem to happen to them; that although people rarely die playing Quidditch, referees have been known to vanish and turn up months later in the Sahara Desert.

"Nice." She nods after he's done telling her, not knowing what else to say to that.

Hermione has become a bit more relaxed about breaking rules since Harry, Ron, and Lily saved her from the mountain troll, and she is much nicer for it.

The day before Harry's first Quidditch match the four of them are out in the freezing courtyard during break, and Hermione has conjured up a bright blue fire which can be carried around in a jam jar. They're standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Professor Snape crosses the yard.

Lily notices at once that he is still limping.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione move closer together to block the fire from view; they're sure it won't be allowed.

Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces catches Professor Snape's eye. He limps over, ignoring Lily's existence. He doesn't see the fire, but he seems to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?"

It's Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry shows him. It's a big mistake to give Professor Snape anything that's yours.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," Professor Snape says and Lily rolls her eyes at him.

"Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."

Lily shakes her head, chuckling under her breath. He really likes picking fights with first-years.

Ridiculous.